Thread: Z8 Questions

Z8 Questions

Looking at jumping into a Z8. Would like to stay in the 2011-2013 year range for price and removable dual console. Some of the boats I am finding have a 101 TM, some with an 80lb. My question is, how does the 80lb perform? I have an 80 Fourtrex on my current Ranger 361V and typically fish on the 50 setting on the TM. Would I need to bump up to 70 with the bigger Z8? That would seem to drain the batteries and be louder.

Next question, what system have you guys incorporated to store plies, scissors, super glue, etc? The one thing I like about the Z9 is they have the built in cubby compartments for that stuff but the Z8 doesn't. I noticed on a Z20, they got smart and put that in, but the Z8 has nothing. I could always buy an aftermarket organizer and screw it into the boat somewhere, but I am not seeing a real good place to do that.

I believe the 80 will do fine.... I have had an 80 on two 20ft boats and it never let me down.. However you can't argue against the fact that the 101 or 112 would be better. :-)
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

I use my trash can for pliers, wallet, cents , scale... I also bought a trash can a bit bigger than the one in the boat, drilled some wholes in the bottom of it and attached it to the back of the starboard rod locker to hold more stuff, I used black and hindsight says white would have been better. I did move the fire extinguisher so it was in a better stop than where they slapped it. (I moved it 4")

the 70-80 pound trolling motor will work fine until your in high wind/current or you fish sun up till sundown hard.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

The 80 just means you need to have good batteries IMO. Its enuff thrust.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    I have a 112 fortrex on my Z8, I’m sure an 80 would be fine. When I put the 112 on 100 you better hold on or it will toss you off the boat, specially if your not paying attention.

6. Member
    I had an 80 on my Z8 and never had any problems with it.
    Storage for the small stuff was lacking, I also ended up using the trash can for most of my small stuff storage. Pliers and clippers just stayed on the bottom of the boat.

7. Member
    PM sent. Got a 2013 Z8 in on trade today.
    Born to fish, forced to work.

8. Member
    I have a 2011 Z8 and like a lot of guys use the trash can as my "Day Box" - with a ziplock for the plastics I am using that day - as well as a spot to for pliers, braid snips, tools, line conditioner, sunblock. I also installed one of the storage drawers (that came on Z9s and was optional on Z8s) for additional storage - phone, wallet, sunglasses, etc.

TM-wise I had a 70-ish pound 24v unit for several years without too much of an issue but upgraded to a 36v (Xi5) and while the power to move the boat isn't really all of that different I can run several days without having to recharge - could not do that with the 24v unit.

I have a passenger console as well and run it during the Winter and when take my dad or mom fishing (75yrs +) - but really nice to be able to pull it when I want a little more room.

The amount of space on the Z Boats in the bilge areas - is great for additional storage (I keep all of my tools/spares in a waterproof tote under the port rear storage box) - and it makes running wires for electronics or doing any service work way easier than most brands (my buddies Ranger is a significant challenge to work around inside the bilge and gunnels).

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

Here is what i made as a tool holder on my z-8

10. Member
    GREAT IDEA!!!
    [/QUOTE]

11. Member
    I added the Drawer to passenger side... BassCat step/storage replace center seat... Have a Double suction cup caddy attached to driver side below console. But usually have pliers in "OH SHIT" handles on driver of passenger side (between handle and boat).