what product to clean wheel bearings

Wondering what you guys recommend to clean wheel bearings with? I've heard certain solvents (especially gasoline) can leave residue that reacts negatively with the grease and seals.

2. Member
    To answer your question, there is nothing in gasoline that will harm bearings. People have washed a gazillion bearings in gasoline. However, gas' toxicity and flammability would not make it my first choice. Any good solvent such as mineral spirits, stoddard solvent, heck I would pick me up a gallon of kerosene before gasoline, that is just me.
    This does peak my curiosity as to why you are cleaning bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    This does peak my curiosity as to why you are cleaning bearings.
    To inspect them before a repack.

Acetone
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

Bearings arent very expensive. I'd go to napa and pick up a set before I'd mess with trying to clean them up if I had the hub apart and was worried about them

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner6901 View Post
    Bearings arent very expensive. I'd go to napa and pick up a set before I'd mess with trying to clean them up if I had the hub apart and was worried about them
    But removing and installing new races is a lot of work compared to washing the bearings to look for signs of heat damage or wear.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Yeah it can be a p.i.t.a

I just wipe them clean with rags and roll them around so i can look them over. You can get the majority of the grease off like that then when you repack it will push any out and just wipe that away too. Never had any issues doing it this way. At work with the big bus bearings we pressure wash them with hot water but you gotta blow the water off and oil them quickly.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

I've used Diesel for over 50 yrs to clean ANY parts for Motor, Transmissions, rear ends, and all kinds of BEARINGS !! Easier on your hands, cleans well, and no harmful effects. If anything, it leaves a light oil film which will not negatively mix with what ever you coat/pack your bearings in.1 And, it's much safer to use than gasoline !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    I've used Diesel for over 50 yrs to clean ANY parts for Motor, Transmissions, rear ends, and all kinds of BEARINGS !! Easier on your hands, cleans well, and no harmful effects. If anything, it leaves a light oil film which will not negatively mix with what ever you coat/pack your bearings in.1 And, it's much safer to use than gasoline !!
    This

11. Member
    Brake cleaner, works great.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Yeah but it stinks. I might use gasoline along with compressed air. If I think a bearing is bad I just change it most times IF I have one available. No sense in taking any chances.

I would not worry about gasoline leaving a film, but that's just me.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner6901 View Post
    Chinese bearings are cheap. Good timkens are about double.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nitro3847 View Post
    x2

15. Banned
    I just use paint thinner/mineral spirits. And hand pack them with sticky Lucas bearing grease. I avoid the thin bearing grease that's apt to leach through the back seal and contaminate my brakes.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nitro3847 View Post

But it has to be real brake cleaner and not the environmentally safe cleaner

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post

But it has to be real brake cleaner and not the environmentally safe cleaner
    My liver and kidneys want me to use the newer stuff.

18. Member
    I have always cleaned bearings in a parts washer using solvent and then after the cleaning do a final rinse with the "red" can CrC brake cleaner as it dries quickly leaving no residue.

If after cleaning upon inspection I see any little thing on the bearing that does not look the same as a brand new bearing I replace them.

I do use Timken bearings and think they are worth the additional cost when replacements are required.