Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

dealer says sign papers, pay in full then I can test drive used boat

Now I 'm interested in a used boat but dealer wants me to sign papers, pay in full and then I can test drive boat. If I don't like this rig he says he'll give my money back. I am over 1000 miles from him, says it's company policy. Am I wrong thinking something ain't right?

Find another boat. Not worth the hassle of dealing with. Too many good rides out there.

Just think, you want to give them money and they are being this hard to deal with. Just imagine if you need something from them after the purchase. Might not be a fun experience.
    Last edited by Mark Perry; 11-28-2018 at 07:16 AM.

3. Member
    As long as he backs up the money back guarantee in writing.....if it's something you really like it could be worth it. I feel your pain...the used market is not great in the northern states.
    1994 SWIFT boat 200-SDX
    1999 Mercury EFI 150

4. Member
    Walk!
    2003 Ranger 520VX
    2007 225 Mercury Optimax
    Lowrance 2-HDS-12's Touch Gen 2
    Lowrance 1-HDS-7 Touch Gen 2

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boatinpete View Post
    Now I 'm interested in a used boat but dealer wants me to sign papers, pay in full and then I can test drive boat. If I don't like this rig he says he'll give my money back. I am over 1000 miles from him, says it's company policy. Am I wrong thinking something ain't right?
    Can you PM me with what the dealer name is? I am curious if my suspicion is correct and if I can compare to my previous dealings as well with my future interaction.
    -2016 Phoenix 721 250 Pro XS
    -Old Rig-2006 Triton TR-196 200HP Optimax

Run Forrest, RUN!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Run .

No freaking way! Test drive first. Then talk money. Never sign then drive a boat. I have also accepted a refundable deposit with purchase pending on the test drive.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Find another boat. Not worth the hassle of dealing with. Too many good rides out there.
    This

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Yep. A deposit, maybe, but what they are asking is ridiculous. A good dealer wont ask for anything except a statement or something to guarantee you can actually buy it.

11. Member
    I would run away from that deal. If that is the way they do business they will be a PITA to deal with all the way around and they will probably find a way to screw you.

Prediction:

After your test drive, there's going to be something wrong with the boat or motor that you caused. They're keeping the money and the boat is yours.

13. Member
    What about him taking you for a ride? Does that require full payment? If not he should be able to take you out in the middle of a lake and then let you run it away from docks/ structure etc.

14. Member
    Sounds like a bad dealer. My dealer in MO took my for a ride and the switched seats without question.

15. Banned
    Dealer name???? Just want other BBC members to know where to stay away from.

16. Member
    Does he at least share the stuff he's smokin?

Kiss - my - booty

18. Banned
    This only applies to Vaginas

Prefer not to mention Marina rt now, am actually very interested in this particular make, color and year as this is the exact used boat I want. Never had a marina tell me this before as I bought used boats and they all were accommodating.

Fellows I retired 1 month ago for good, got plenty of time on my hands, don't mind traveling 17 hrs away as I've done 15 hours traveling before from Rochester to Buford GA and another time to NC , I'm actually asking a very serious question and appreciate replays. Was going to do it this week but now am getting cold feet on this deal.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast