Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    As a matter of fact, for your entertainment YOUTUBE " RANGER 170", the salesman from Denver Marine did this video for me years ago knowing I'm a serious buyer, my wife and I looked at the video, went down there and bought the boat, now thats a salesman.Yes he is talking to me personally and calling me Pete as of course thats my name.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boatinpete View Post
    Fellows I retired 1 month ago for good, got plenty of time on my hands, don't mind traveling 17 hrs away as I've done 15 hours traveling before from Rochester to Buford GA and another time to NC , I'm actually asking a very serious question and appreciate replays. Was going to do it this week but now am getting cold feet on this deal.
    I don't care how much time you have your the buyer and they should accommodate you not the other way around. As many said walk away and as you said you have plenty of time. When the deal is right you will know it!
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

Walk away
    --------------------------------------------
    Phillip Arrington
    Dover/Goodlettsville Tn

2017 Sponsoring Partners:
    C&O Marine, Mercury Marine, Goodlettsville Gun Shop, Cantrell's Market, Motorguide , YETI, Carrot Stix, Yum, GateWay Tire Service Center, StormR, SpoolTek, RodSox, Jewel Bait Company, U.S. Bass, Bobs Machine Shop, Lazyman Hooks, FishBum, Bass Militia, Rayus, and Jenko Fishing.

1999 Triton TR-21PD
    Mercury 300R

You driving 1000 miles plus offering him the chance for you to verify funding should have him treating you a bit more seriously and respectfully. If you walk in after that long a drive the least he can do is a test drive. Heck the two dealers I use would probably buy your lunch and treat you like an old friend after that long a trip.

5. Moderator
    Sounds fishy. No test drive until you own it? I would have a problem with that. If it's the boat I want I'd go see it and negotiate a way to test drive or to include no questions asked return policy.

No way would I do that. That guy is nuts and I'd call and speak with someone else and just see what their 'company policy' is. If it is their policy.....piss on 'em.

7. Member
    This is almost a given here, ie; if a person wants a boat, bike, car, truck, whatever and he's asking for an opinion about whether the concensus thinks its a bad deal, he truly has no interest in the negative. He simply wants agreement, or approval.....seen it many times......

8. Member
    Now I 'm interested in a used boat but dealer wants me to sign papers, pay in full and then I can test drive boat. If I don't like this rig he says he'll give my money back. I am over 1000 miles from him, says it's company policy. Am I wrong thinking something ain't right?
    O.K. now you know what he wants. Tell him it's your policy that if you drive 1000 miles that you will test drive (weather permitting) his boat before you buy it. If he doesn't agree, then tell him thanks, but no thanks.

9. Member
    Would have to be heck of a deal. There’s more boats just like it. No way I’m buying from that type dealer. You can feel to much stuff while driving,miss or hesitation etc , that he going to say is normal.

10. Member
    You also open yourself up to some major screwing if the boat breaks on the test drive. Just sounds like the type of dealer that would say "you bought it as is" if the motor blows on the test drive. Then you would have to go thru all kinds of legal stuff to maybe get your money back

11. Member
    Fellows I retired 1 month ago for good, got plenty of time on my hands, don't mind traveling 17 hrs away as I've done 15 hours traveling before from Rochester to Buford GA and another time to NC , I'm actually asking a very serious question and appreciate replays. Was going to do it this week but now am getting cold feet on this deal.
    I would run as fast as I can. I've never had a dealer or individual pull this kind of crap and if they did, I'd never buy from them. Would you buy a new car or truck this way?
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

12. Member
    tell him to go walk his dog,,in the mean time continue to look,,,good things come to those who are patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Find another boat. Not worth the hassle of dealing with. Too many good rides out there.
    This. Never buy without driving unless you’re expecting a project. And this guy is a clown salesman. They should have a deposit system and care to take the time to run the boat to the lake to make a sale.

14. Member
    In today’s world of scams and more scams, I wonder if the salesman thinks you aren’t pulling his leg about driving that far for a boat? Maybe he was trying to pull your leg back? I’d call the dealership and ask for the sales manager. Explain you’re financially viable to buy the boat and willing to prove it, then ask what their policy is about test drives. If it really is full payment first, I’d keep looking. That’s just asking for headaches.

15. Member
    Thats your gut telling you something, listen to it

My
    first question is how far is the boat dealer from a lake ??
    I'm sure they have taken more than one family for a test/joy ride at there time and expense. So I can (kinda) see there side of it, especially if there not close to water. However in your case You'd think they could see your serious and not just a tire kicker since your 1000 miles away. Might ask him if he would be willing to reimburse your traveling expenses if the boat is not as advertised.

17. Member
    I would not do that deal. Sounds weird to me. Maybe they have an unusually larger number of tire kickers but a good salesman should be able to know the difference. I would try talking to another salesman at the dealer or the sales manager. If they all have the same line I still would not do the deal. It just feels off to me.

Just to throw this out...
    If you are bound and determined try to do the deal anyway you could offer to give a deposit after you look at it. I have done that before when I first looked at a boat and for whatever reason could not drive it that day but wanted them to hold it until we could get on the water. And by deposit I don't mean the full price if the boat. I have only done this on deals with individuals not a dealer.

18. Member
    Tell him to "Pound Sand"!!

19. Member
    I agree that if you can show a letter of financial capability and are willing to drive that far then if this dealer is not willing to freely offer a test run on that much of a guarantee I would question what is he trying to hide and walk away.

Also would make me want an authorized Dealer of that motor brand totally independent of ties to that shop to inspect the engine and give it a clean bill of health prior to purchase.

Not many people will drive 1000 miles just to waste the dealers time for a test ride!

20. Member
    Keep looking! Like other posts have mentioned plenty of options out there. This doesn’t smell right. This dealer sounds sketchy at best. Once you tow this rig home he’s planning on never hearing from you again. Look for a one owner trade from a reputable dealer. Or a one owner private sale. And maintenance records and boat history a must for me. Good luck and congrats on your retirement.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast