steez a vs bantam mgl?

thinking of getting one of these curious on pros and cons of each?

2. Member
    I’d go Steez. Much lighter and I think Daiwa cast control is better.

is weight the main issue or overall dependability? Bantam MGL is one legit reel, and castability is right there with my Metanium MGLs. Amazing reel at that price. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

4. Member
    I have a Steez SV TWS, not the A. I also have a Bantam MGL. I think it would really depend on your intended use. Both are wonderful reels and I would be hard pressed to chose one over the other. It seems like the Steez will handle any task but I have never tried any finesse techniques with the Bantam for me it is reserved more for heavy duty applications. With that said I think the Steez will handle those also. Take your pick. If weight is important to you obviously the Steez has an advantage.

5. Member
    I have a Steez sv tws now I use for throwing swim jugs thinking a bantam or Steez a may be better for this technique??

6. Member
    I throw swim jigs and frogs on my Steez A, and it does it flawlessly. It's probably my favorite reel hands down.
    Last edited by Nick D; 11-27-2018 at 07:20 PM.

7. Member
    Would be putting the reel on a conquest 843

8. Member
    webby I run my Bantam on that same rod, great combo. It just feels weird to put a Daiwa reel on a Shimano/Loomis rod. Or maybe I'm just weird.

9. Member
    Steez A is the more versatile reel. Only advantage I can see for the Bantam is more robust reel. The Steez gets easily scratched.

I own 7 Steez reels,1svtw and 6Steez A.The sv overbrakes itself , the A reels I feel cast better.

11. Member
    Buy both and do a review
    you will sell the other one easily

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzBait53 View Post
    I own 7 Steez reels,1svtw and 6Steez A.The sv overbrakes itself , the A reels I feel cast better.
    The spool from the Zillion SV TW opens up the Steez SV TW. For whatever reason I feel like the stock Steez spool is fussy at time and not as consistent. Nobody wants to put anothe 80 plus bucks into a 500.00 reel but the Zillion spool is a fix. The Steez A’s are solid casters.

13. Banned
    Steez is my vote. Im not impressed with Shimano lately. I feel they are lacking something, I feel its quality that the Shimano line is lacking in. Not overly impressed with the use of more plastic in places I feel there should be metal. Daiwa does not do this, and have been more consistent with quality,.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzBait53 View Post
    You should give a shout out to Ian Shields and see if he can help you with the SV reel. My first SV reel backlashed more than any other reel I owned, yet I felt it was over braked during some of the cast. Sent it to Ian for an upgrade and tune. He also did some work on the spool. Excellent caster now.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by new2BC4bass View Post
    You should give a shout out to Ian Shields and see if he can help you with the SV reel. My first SV reel backlashed more than any other reel I owned, yet I felt it was over braked during some of the cast. Sent it to Ian for an upgrade and tune. He also did some work on the spool. Excellent caster now.
    love my Steez sv tw too but I also can’t seem to dial it in. It either doesn’t cast far at all or it backlashes. Quite annoying, it’s on my jerkbait rod so distance is important

16. Member
    I had the Steez SV TWS early this year. Lasted 3 months before the handle started to lockup. I'm sure it was just a bad reel I got but for $500 there is no second chance. Luckily I was able to return it. I've also had Bantam MGL. Tank of a reel, which was it's downfall for me. I like lighter reels. Also the line guide is too close to the spool on the Bantam. If you fish braid that is not super smooth it is going effect the casting. I think that is the reels biggest design flaw.

If I had to choose between one of these, I would go Steez.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KMcClure View Post
    love my Steez sv tw too but I also can’t seem to dial it in. It either doesn’t cast far at all or it backlashes. Quite annoying, it’s on my jerkbait rod so distance is important
    I fish from shore so distance is important to me too.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KMcClure View Post
    My brother had the same issue returned it the next day

Stopped by the Tackle Trap the other day in my travels and got to meet Spanky and the gang, they are great people. While there I spoke of this thread and Spanky hooked me up with a spool for the Steez sv tw. A ZPI nrc001pg, this will cure the problem.