pork butt sholder

Wife bought one( I don't know why) but how do I cook it? I have a Weber with rotisserie, gas,
    no smoker.

2. Member
    you can do low and slow in the over. Wont have smoke flavor but still good. Set oven to 225 - 250 let it go till temp of butt/shoulder gets to 200 - 205.

3. Scraps
    Slow cooker.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

4. Member
    If you have one of the instapots or copy they cut cooking time down greatly. Or you could go with a crock pot. Get some liquid smoke or a BBQ sauce that advertises having smoke flavor added.

Its really one of the easiest things to cook.

5. Member
    Try this, put some white beans in crock pot and cover with water. Then put in the pork butt on top of beans. Cook for about 4 or 5 hrs. on high or you can cook on low for about 10 hrs. Have a pan of cornbread ready when done.

6. Member
    You can get a decent smoke on a gas grill. I didn't feel like messing with the Weber charcoal during Thanksgiving and smoked 4 turkeys on the Weber Genesis. Is it the exact same as the charcoal? No, but did come out with a good smoke flavor and a nice smoke ring throughout. I use some disposable aluminum pans with whatever wood chips I want (Peach wood for the turkey) and then put some foil over the top with holes poked in it. Then place it directly onto the burner cover and let it roll. Smokes for about an hour so you will have to reload a few times for a shoulder. I also will say that the crock pot route is very good too.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

8. Member
    This is my all-time favorite Boston Butt recipe. It can be done in the oven, gas or smoker. GREAT for the holidays.

Boston Butt Pork Shoulder Roast

10 cloves of garlic or minzed

2 tblspn rosemary

2 tblspn sage

1 tblspn fennel seeds

1.5 tblspn sea salt

1 tblspn pepper

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

combine these ingredients into paste via hand mixer or food processor

then Add:

2 tblspn white cooking wine

2 tblspn olive oil (a little more if too dry)

Paste both sides of the meat and place in shallow roast pan FAT UP

bake at 275* for 2.5-3 hours or until center is 160-170* This will leave a nice pink middle. Pull, place in roasting pan or equivalent, wrap with foil and let rest 30mins
    or so.
    Last edited by ClarkBird; 11-28-2018 at 01:22 PM.
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

9. Member
    Thanks for the ideas.

10. Banned
    I'd just rub it with mustard and sprinkle a high quality barbeque rub on it. Then cook it on the gas grill--turning every 1/2 hour or so.

An alternative would be to cook it in a crock pot until it falls off the bone. Then use one of those trays with holes used to cook veggies on grills. Put the meat on one of those trays and smoke it for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. It'll soak up the natural smoke flavor.

Finish it off with a good designer sauce, a shaking of rub and a high quality mustard type barbeque slaw and you've got fine eating.

11. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    Crockpot, apples, apple juice, raisins, onions
    Stuff roast with garlic, pepper, bacon.

Slice onions and layer bottom place roast on onions add apple , juice and raisins.
    Cook on high till it’s falling apart

12. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    Crockpot, apples, apple juice, raisins, onions
    Stuff roast with garlic, pepper, bacon.

Slice onions and layer bottom place roast on onions add apple , juice and raisins.
    Cook on high till it’s falling apart

I just did one yesterday. I use Meat Church Honey Hog rub. I do not use any mustard as it just isn’t needed IMO.

Go buy a couple things...a good thermometer, rub, apple wood chips (not chunks) and a smoke box. Most places that sell grills will also sell these boxes. Here is one from Home Depot. SmokerBox.

Heat your gas grill up to 225, you will probably only need one burner. Trim/skin fat from the roast, rub it with your rub. Insert the thermometer probe into the thickest part of the roast keeping it 1/2 from the bone. Put it on the grill opposite of the lit burner. Put the wood chips in the smoke box overtop of the lit burner. Replenish the chips in about an hour then do not add any more wood. Once the internal temp gets to 150 degrees, wrap the roast very tightly with foil. At this point, you can move it inside to the oven (on a cookie tray at 225) or keep it on the grill. Neither option will change the taste. I usually move it inside. It is done at 203 degrees. Turn the oven off and let it rest for at least an hour. If you finished it on the grill, line a cooler with old towels and put the roast in it to rest. After the hour, pull it apart and enjoy! Cook time will be about 1 hour (+/-) per pound. If the roast is running long you can crank up the temperature to 250-275 if needed.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

If I don’t have time to smoke a pork shoulder, I make Carnitas in a Dutch oven. Tons of Carnitas recipes for Dutch ovens and slow cookers out there. The one thing I do recommend is searing thoroughly on all sides before putting the Dutch oven or Crock Pot.
    Sear, drop it in the pot, drizzle on some of the juices, add ingredients, cook.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"