This a word study is about the meaning of the Hebrew word מָוֶת, 'maveth' for 'death', and gives every verse where the Hebrew word "maveth" (Strong's 4194) appears. To obtain a true understanding of this word these scriptures need to be meditated on and notes made of their meaning in different contexts. This requires putting scriptures together where they seem to have a similar meaning, and then meditating even more. The truth will be revealed by the Holy Spirit, who has been given to guide us into all truth (John 16:13). Wherever this word maveth appears in the Hebrew, the translation of it is highlighted with yellow. In Hebrew the suffixes and some prepositions are added to the basic word to enhance the meaning, and where this has been done the meaning of the suffix or preposition has been included in highlighted text. Every blessing be to those who seek the truth of God's word.
#1.2 Scriptures for מָוֶת 'maveth' meaning 'death' Strong's 4194

Genesis 21:16 And she went, and sat her down over against him a good way off, as it were a bowshot: for she said, Let me not see the death of the child. And she sat opposite him, and lifted up her voice, and wept.
25:11 And it came to pass after the death of Abraham, that God blessed his son Isaac; and Isaac dwelt by the well Lahairoi.
26:18 And Isaac dug again the wells of water, which they had dug in the days of Abraham his father; for the Philistines had stopped them after the death of Abraham: and he called their names after the names by which his father had called them.
27:2 And he said, Behold now, I am old, I do not know the day of my death:
27:7 Bring me venison, and make me savoury meat, that I may eat, and bless you before Yahweh before my death.
27:10 And you shall bring it to your father, that he may eat, and that he may bless you before his death.
50:16 And they sent a messenger to Joseph, saying, Your father did command before his death, saying,
Exodus 10:17 Now therefore forgive, I pray you, my sin only this once, and intreat Yahweh your God, that he may take away from me this death only.
Leviticus 11:31 These are unclean to you among all that creep: whoever touches them, when they are dead, shall be unclean until the evening.
11:32 And upon whatever any of them falls, when they are dead, it shall be unclean; whether it is any vessel of wood, or raiment, or skin, or sack, whatever vessel it is, in which any work is done, it must be put into water, and it shall be unclean until the evening; so it shall be cleansed.
16:1 And Yahweh spoke to Moses after the death of the two sons of Aaron, when they offered before Yahweh, and died;
Numbers 6:7 He shall not make himself unclean for his father, or for his mother, for his brother, or for his sister, when they die: because the consecration of his God is upon his head.
16:29 If these men die like the death of all men, or if they are visited after the visitation of all men; then Yahweh has not sent me.
23:10 Who can count the dust of Jacob, and the number of the fourth part of Israel? Let me die the death of the righteous, and let my last end be like his!
26:10 And the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed them up together with Korah, at the death of that group, when the fire ate up two hundred and fifty men: and they became a sign.
33:39 And Aaron was a hundred and twenty three years old when he died in mount Hor.
35:25 And the congregation shall deliver the slayer out of the hand of the revenger of blood, and the congregation shall restore him to the city of his refuge, where he was fled: and he shall abide in it to the death of the high priest, which was anointed with the holy oil.
35:28 Because he should have remained in the city of his refuge until the death of the high priest: but after the death of the high priest the slayer shall return into the land of his possession.
35:32 And you shall take no satisfaction for him who is fled to the city of his refuge, that he should come again to dwell in the land, until the death of the priest.
Deuteronomy 19:6 Lest the avenger of the blood pursue the slayer, while his heart is hot, and overtake him, because the way is long, and slay him; and he was not worthy of death, for he did not hate him in time past.
21:22 And if a man have committed a sin worthy of death, and he is to be put to death, and you hang him on a tree:
22:26 But to the damsel you shall do nothing; there is in the damsel no sin worthy of death: for as when a man rises against his neighbor, and slays him, even so is this matter:
30:15 See, I have set before you this day life and good, and death and evil;
30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both you and your seed may live:
31:27 For I know your rebellion, and your stiff neck: behold, while I am yet alive with you this day, you have been rebellious against Yahweh; and how much more after my death?
31:29 For I know that after my death you will utterly corrupt yourselves, and turn aside from the way which I have commanded you; and evil will befall you in the latter days; because you will do evil in the sight of Yahweh, to provoke him to anger through the work of your hands.
33:1 And this is the blessing, with which Moses the man of God blessed the children of Israel before his death.
34:7 And Moses was a hundred and twenty years old when he died: his eye was not dim, nor his natural vigor diminished.
Joshua 1:1 Now after the death of Moses the servant of Yahweh it came to pass, that Yahweh spoke to Joshua the son of Nun, Moses' minister, saying,
2:13 And that you will save alive my father, and my mother, and my brethren, and my sisters, and all that they have, and deliver our lives from death.
20:6 And he shall dwell in that city, until he stand before the congregation for judgment, and until the death of the high priest that shall be in those days: then shall the slayer return, and come to his own city, and to his own house, to the city from where he fled.
Judges 1:1 Now after the death of Joshua it came to pass, that the children of Israel asked Yahweh, saying, Who shall go up for us against the Canaanites first, to fight against them?
2:19 And it came to pass, when the judge was dead, that they returned, and corrupted themselves more than their fathers, in following other gods to serve them, and to bow down to them; they ceased not from their own doings, nor from their stubborn way.
13:7 But he said to me, Behold, you shall conceive, and bear a son; and now drink no wine nor strong drink, neither eat any unclean thing: for the child shall be a Nazarite to God from the womb to the day of his death.
16:30 And Samson said, Let me die with the Philistines. And he bowed himself with all his might; and the house fell upon the lords, and upon all the people that were in it. So the dead which he slew at his death were more than those whom he slew in his life.
Ruth 1:17 Where you diest, will I die, and there I will be buried: Yahweh do so to me, and more also, if anything but death separates you and me.
2:11 And Boaz answered and said to her, It has fully been shown me, all that you have done to your mother in law since the death of your husband: and how you have left your father and your mother, and the land of your nativity, and have come to a people which you did not know before now.
1 Samuel 5:11 So they sent and gathered together all the lords of the Philistines, and said, Send away the ark of the God of Israel, and let it go again to his own place, that it slay us not, and our people: for there was a deadly destruction throughout all the city; the hand of God was very heavy there.
15:32 Then said Samuel, Bring you here to me Agag the king of the Amalekites. And Agag came to him delicately. And Agag said, Surely the bitterness of death is past.
15:35 And Samuel came no more to see Saul until the day of his death: nevertheless Samuel mourned for Saul: and Yahweh regretted that he had made Saul king over Israel.
20:3 And David swore moreover, and said, Your father certainly knows that I have found grace in your eyes; and he says, Do not let Jonathan know this, lest he be grieved: but truly as Yahweh lives, and as your soul lives, there is but a step between me and death.
20:31 For as long as the son of Jesse lives upon the ground, you shall not be established, nor your kingdom. Therefore now send and fetch him for me, for he shall surely die.
20:32 And Jonathan answered Saul his father, and said to him, Why shall he be slain? What has he 26:16 This thing is not good that you have done. As Yahweh lives, you are worthy to die, because you have not kept your master, Yahweh's anointed. And now see where the king's spear is, and the cruse of water that was at his bolster.
2 Samuel 1:1 Now it came to pass after the death of Saul, when David had returned from the slaughter of the Amalekites, and David had abode two days in Ziklag;
1:23 Saul and Jonathan were lovely and pleasant in their lives, and in their death they were not divided: they were swifter than eagles, they were stronger than lions.
3:33 And the king lamented over Abner, and said, Died Abner as a fool dies?
6:23 Therefore Michal the daughter of Saul had no child to the day of her death.
12:5 And David's anger was greatly kindled against the man; and he said to Nathan, As Yahweh lives, the man who has done this thing shall surely die:
15:21 And Ittai answered the king, and said, As Yahweh lives, and as my lord the king lives, surely in what place my lord the king shall be, whether in death or life, even there also will your servant be.
19:28 For all of my father's house were but dead men before my lord the king: yet did you set your servant among those who ate at your own table. What right therefore have I yet to cry any more to the king?
22:5 When the waves of death surrounded me, the floods of ungodly men made me afraid;
22:6 The cords of Sheol surrounded me; the snares of death confronted me;
1 Kings 2:26 And the king said to Abiathar the priest, Get you to Anathoth, to your own fields; for you are worthy of death: but I will not at this time put you to death, because you carried the ark of the Lord Yahweh before David my father, and because you have been afflicted in all in which my father was afflicted.
11:40 Solomon sought therefore to kill Jeroboam. And Jeroboam arose, and fled into Egypt, to Shishak king of Egypt, and was in Egypt until the death of Solomon.
2 Kings 1:1 Then Moab rebelled against Israel after the death of Ahab.
2:21 And he went forth to the spring of the waters, and cast the salt in there, and said, Thus says Yahweh, I have healed these waters; there shall not be from there any more death or barren land.
3:5 But it came to pass, when Ahab was dead, that the king of Moab rebelled against the king of Israel.
4:40 So they poured out for the men to eat. And it came to pass, as they were eating of the pottage, that they cried out, and said, O you man of God, there is death in the pot. And they could not eat of it.
14:17 And Amaziah the son of Joash king of Judah lived fifteen years after the death of Jehoash son of Jehoahaz king of Israel.
15:5 And Yahweh struck the king, so that he was a leper to the day of his death, and dwelt in a several house. And Jotham the king's son was over the house, judging the people of the land.
1 Chronicles 2:24 And after that Hezron was dead in Calebephratah, then Abiah Hezron's wife bore him Ashur the father of Tekoa.
22:5 And David said, Solomon my son is young and tender, and the house that is to be built for Yahweh must be exceeding magnifical, of fame and of glory throughout all countries: I will therefore now make preparation for it. So David prepared abundantly before his death.
2 Chronicles 22:4 Therefore he did evil in the sight of Yahweh like the house of Ahab: for they were his counsellors after the death of his father to his destruction.
24:15 But Jehoiada grew old, and was full of days when he died; he was a hundred and thirty years old at his death.
24:17 Now after the death of Jehoiada came the princes of Judah, and bowed down to the king. Then the king listened to them.
24:22 Thus Joash the king remembered not the kindness which Jehoiada his father had done to him, but slew his son. And when he died, he said, Yahweh look upon it, and require it.
26:21 And Uzziah the king was a leper to the day of his death, and dwelt in a several house, being a leper; for he was cut off from the house of Yahweh: and Jotham his son was over the king's house, judging the people of the land.
32:33 And Hezekiah slept with his fathers, and they buried him in the chiefest of the sepulchres of the sons of David: and all Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem did him honor at his death. And Manasseh his son reigned in his place.
Esther 2:7 And he brought up Hadassah, that is, Esther, his uncle's daughter: for she had neither father nor mother, and the maid was fair and beautiful; whom Mordecai, when her father and mother where dead, took for his own daughter.
Job 3:21 Who long for death, but it does not come; and dig for it more than for hidden treasures;
5:20 In famine he shall redeem you from death: and in war from the power of the sword.
7:15 So that my soul chooses strangling, and death rather than my life.
18:13 It shall devour the strength of his skin: the firstborn of death shall devour his strength.
27:15 Those that remain of him shall be buried in death: and his widows shall not weep.
28:22 Destruction and death say, We have heard of its fame with our ears.
30:23 For I know that you will bring me to death, and to the house appointed for all living.
38:17 Have the gates of death been opened to you? Or have you seen the doors of the shadow of death?
Psalm 6:5 For in death there is no remembrance of you: in the grave who shall give you thanks?
7:13 He has also prepared for him the instruments of death; he ordains his arrows against the persecutors.
9:13 Have mercy upon me, O Yahweh; consider my trouble which I suffer of those who hate me, you who lifts me up from the gates of death:
13:3 Consider and hear me, O Yahweh my God: lighten my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death;
18:4 The sorrows of death surrounded me, and the floods of ungodly men made me afraid.
18:5 The cords of Sheol surrounded me: the snares of death confronted me.
22:15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaves to my jaws; and you have brought me into the dust of death.
33:19 To deliver their soul from death, and to keep them alive in famine.
49:14 Like sheep they are laid in the grave; death shall feed on them; and the upright shall have dominion over them in the morning; and their beauty shall consume in the grave from their dwelling.
49:17 For in his death he shall carry nothing away: his glory shall not descend after him.
55:4 My heart is pained within me: and the terrors of death are fallen upon me.
55:15 Let death seize upon them, and let them go down alive into Sheol: for wickedness is in their dwellings, and among them.
56:13 For you have delivered my soul from death: will not you deliver my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of the living?
68:20 He who is our God is the God of salvation; and to Yahweh the Lord belong the issues from death.
73:4 For there are no bands in their death: but their strength is firm.
78:50 He made a way to his anger; he did not spare their soul from death, but gave their life over to the pestilence;
89:48 What man is he who lives, and shall not see death? Shall he deliver his soul from the hand of the grave? Selah.
107:18 Their soul abhors all manner of meat; and they draw near to the gates of death.
116:3 The cords of death surrounded me, and the distresses of Sheol found me: I found trouble and sorrow.
116:8 For you have delivered my soul from death, my eyes from tears, and my feet from falling.
116:15 Precious in the sight of Yahweh is the death of his saints.
118:18 Yahweh has chastened me sore: but he has not given me over to death.
Proverbs 2:18 For her house inclines to death, and her paths to the dead.
5:5 Her feet go down to death; her steps take hold on Sheol.
7:27 Her house is the way to Sheol, going down to the chambers of death.
8:36 But he who sins against me wrongs his own soul: all those who hate me love death.
10:2 Treasures of wickedness profit nothing: but righteousness delivers from death.
11:4 Riches profit not in the day of wrath: but righteousness delivers from death.
11:7 When a wicked man dies, his expectation shall perish: and the hope of unrighteous men perishes.
11:19 As righteousness tends to life: so he who pursues evil pursues it to his own death.
12:28 In the way of righteousness is life; and in the pathway of it there is no death.
13:14 The law of the wise is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death.
14:12 There is a way which seems right to a man, but its end are the ways of death.
14:27 The fear of Yahweh is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death.
14:32 The wicked is driven away in his wickedness: but the righteous has hope in his death.
16:14 The wrath of a king is as messengers of death: but a wise man will appease it.
16:25 There is a way that seems right to a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.
18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and those who love it shall eat its fruit.
21:6 The getting of treasures by a lying tongue is a vanity tossed to and fro of those who seek death.
24:11 If you forbear to deliver those who are drawn to death, and those who are ready to be slain;
26:18 As a mad man who casts firebrands, arrows, and death,
Ecclesiastes 3:19 For that which befalls the sons of men befalls beasts; even one thing befalls them: as the one dies, so dies the other; yes, they have all one breath; so that a man has no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity.
7:1 A good name is better than precious ointment; and the day of death than the day of one's birth.
7:26 And I find more bitter than death the woman, whose heart is snares and nets, and her hands as bands: whoever pleases God shall escape from her; but the sinner shall be taken by her.
8:8 There is no man who has power over the spirit to retain the spirit; neither does he have power in the day of death: and there is no discharge in that war; neither shall wickedness deliver those who are given to it.
10:1 Dead flies cause the ointment of the apothecary to stink and ferment: so does a little folly him who is in reputation for wisdom and honor.
Song of Solomon 8:6 Set me as a seal upon your heart, as a seal upon your arm: for love is strong as death; jealousy is cruel as Sheol: its coals are coals of fire, a most vehement flame.
Isaiah 6:1 In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple.
14:28 In the year that king Ahaz died was this burden.
25:8 He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord Yahweh will wipe away tears from off all faces; and the rebuke of his people shall he take away from off all the earth: for Yahweh has spoken it.
28:15 Because you have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with Sheol are we at agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, it shall not come to us: for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hidden ourselves:
28:18 And your covenant with death has been atoned for, and your agreement with Sheol shall not stand; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, then you shall be trodden down by it.
38:18 For the grave cannot praise you, death can not celebrate you: those who go down into the pit cannot hope for your truth.
53:9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.
53:12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the plunder with the strong; because he has poured out his soul to death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bore the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.
Jeremiah 8:3 And death shall be chosen rather than life by all the remnant of those who remain of this evil family, who remain in all the places where I have driven them, says Yahweh of hosts.
9:21 For death is come up into our windows, and is entered into our palaces, to cut off the children from outside, and the young men from the streets.
15:2 And it shall come to pass, if they say to you, Where shall we go forth? Then you shall tell them, Thus says Yahweh; Such as are for death, to death; and such as are for the sword, to the sword; and such as are for the famine, to the famine; and such as are for the captivity, to the captivity.
18:21 Therefore deliver up their children to the famine, and pour out their blood by the force of the sword; and let their wives be bereaved of their children, and be widows; and let their men be put to death; let their young men be slain by the sword in battle.
18:23 Yet, Yahweh, you know all their counsel against me for death: provide no atonement for their iniquity, nor blot out their sin from your sight, but let them be overthrown before you; deal thus with them in the time of your anger.
21:8 And to this people you shall say, Thus says Yahweh; Behold, I set before you the way of life, and the way of death.
26:11 Then spoke the priests and the prophets to the princes and to all the people, saying, Give a sentence of death to this man; for he has prophesied against this city, as you have heard with your ears.
26:16 Then said the princes and all the people to the priests and to the prophets; Do not give this man a sentence of death: for he has spoken to us in the name of Yahweh our God.
43:11 And when he comes, he shall strike the land of Egypt, and deliver such as are for death to death; and such as are for captivity to captivity; and such as are for the sword to the sword.
52:11 Then he put out the eyes of Zedekiah; and the king of Babylon bound him in chains, and carried him to Babylon, and put him in prison till the day of his death.
52:34 And for his diet, there was a continual diet given him of the king of Babylon, every day a portion until the day of his death, all the days of his life.
Lamentations 1:20 Behold, O Yahweh; for I am in distress: my bowels are troubled; my heart is turned within me; for I have grievously rebelled: abroad the sword bereaves, at home there is as death.
Ezekiel 18:23 Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? Says the Lord Yahweh: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?
18:32 For I have no pleasure in the death of him who dies, says the Lord Yahweh: so turn yourselves, and live.
28:10 You shall die the deaths of the uncircumcised by the hand of strangers: for I have spoken it, says the Lord Yahweh.
31:14 To the end that none of all the trees by the waters exalt themselves for their height, neither shoot up their top among the thick boughs, neither their trees stand up in their height, all that drink water: for they are all delivered to death, to the lower parts of the earth, in the midst of the children of men, with those who go down to the pit.
33:11 Say to them, As I live, says the Lord Yahweh, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn you, turn you from your evil ways; for why will you die, O house of Israel?
Hosea 13:14 I will ransom them from the power of the grave; I will redeem them from death: O death, I will be your plagues; O grave, I will be your destruction: repentance shall be hidden from my eyes.
Jonah 4:3 Therefore now, O Yahweh, take, I beseech you, my life from me; for it is better for me to die than to live.
4:8 And it came to pass, when the sun did arise, that God prepared a vehement east wind; and the sun beat upon the head of Jonah, that he fainted, and wished in himself to die, and said, It is better for me to die than to live.
4:9 And God said to Jonah, Do you do well to be angry for the gourd? And he said, I do well to be angry, even to death.
Habakkuk 2:5 Yes also, because he transgresses by wine, he is a proud man, nor keeps at home, who enlarges his desire as Sheol, and is as death, and cannot be satisfied, but gathers to him all nations, and heaps to him all people: