Hydraulic Jackplate on a Cougar with a 250 Yami

I'm looking at getting a Hydro jack for my 2002 Cougar, it's a 20'3" with a 250hp Yamaha Vmax HPDI. What do you guys recommend?

We suggest either Bob’s or SeaStar...

3. Member
    I was looking at getting an 12" Atlas, is that a possible combination?

4. Member
    Do they come drilled for Bascat?

You asked, we offered...

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    You asked, we offered...
    I think I will go with a bobs!

7. Member
    I recently changed my manual Slidemaster to an 8” Atlas on my 2007 Cougar. From my research, BCB recommends and installs 8” jack plates. Buying direct from BCB was the best option I could find as they are drilled for your boat and include the gauge. They recommended the Bob’a to me, and that is what I wanted to use. However, I changed to an Arlas at the last minute as it was comparable with my Talon brackets. The Bob’s was going to require an additional spacer. So far, the Atlas has been fine.

8. Member
    BCB. Any particular reason Atlas was NOT one of the two you recommended?

I have a 2017 Cougar FTD with Atlas. I know you were recommending plates for original poster's 2002 Cougar. But I think I pretty much have the exact same hull. My Atlas came from the factory as far as I know. I'm sure there are a lot of other Atlas folks out there with Cougars. Does it have anything to do with the particular boat?

9. Member
    I have owned 3 different bass cat hulls with 3 different brand Hydraulic Jack Plates. I first owned a Detwiller which was very nice but I had trouble with the switches that activate the height adjustment. Then I owned an Atlas. The Atlas was very slow and started sticking at lower heights which could have been isolated to mine. It was reliable but slow. I now own a Bob's Hydraulic and although it's only been 5 months I love it. It's quiet, very, very fast which is important to me. The grease ports are easy to access, and it looks very nice with the option of powder coated colors of your choice.

We use our Hydraulic plates down here a lot for taking off in really shallow water so the speed of the Bob's is a really big deal. I can have the plate all the way up and take off then start lowering the plate before the bow breaks over with little to no blow out. This was not possible with the Atlas because it was much slower.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shapfromla View Post
    I have owned 3 different bass cat hulls with 3 different brand Hydraulic Jack Plates. I first owned a Detwiller which was very nice but I had trouble with the switches that activate the height adjustment. Then I owned an Atlas. The Atlas was very slow and started sticking at lower heights which could have been isolated to mine. It was reliable but slow. I now own a Bob's Hydraulic and although it's only been 5 months I love it. It's quiet, very, very fast which is important to me. The grease ports are easy to access, and it looks very nice with the option of powder coated colors of your choice.

We use our Hydraulic plates down here a lot for taking off in really shallow water so the speed of the Bob's is a really big deal. I can have the plate all the way up and take off then start lowering the plate before the bow breaks over with little to no blow out. This was not possible with the Atlas because it was much slower.
    Perfect explanation for what I needed. I do not need my jackplate to be fast like yours for the conditions I fish. It would be nice to have but no worth changing. Mine hiccups at low levels too. I only notice it when boat is on the trailer and I'm putting it all the way down for trailering home. Are they supposed to be greased? I've seen where it is suggested to wash them with soap and water. But do they need greased? If so what type and where should it be placed?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    Perfect explanation for what I needed. I do not need my jackplate to be fast like yours for the conditions I fish. It would be nice to have but no worth changing. Mine hiccups at low levels too. I only notice it when boat is on the trailer and I'm putting it all the way down for trailering home. Are they supposed to be greased? I've seen where it is suggested to wash them with soap and water. But do they need greased? If so what type and where should it be placed?
    Proceed with caution because I may be way off! Lol. My detwiller had grease zerts, my bob's has grease zerts. I did not see any on my atlas. I think the recommendation is to keep the black cylinders that ride up and down clean and as free as possible of any dirt and grit. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

12. Member
    Gotcha. I will. There are no zerts on the Atlas that I see. I saw Russ Lane do a You Tube video about the Atlas and he only references keeping in clean with soap and water.