Retirees who have had Head and Neck Cancer.

A few years back I had head and neck cancer. Except for my co-pays that I paid Tricare took care of everything. I was warned at the start of my Chemo and Radiation treatments that severe damage could be done to my teeths as the radiation treatments would adversely effect my salivary glands which would impact the health of my teeths. Prior to the start of my treatments I went to my dentist to let him check and fix any issues that I had. Now 5 1/2 years after my last treatment I now have the severe problems that I was warned could happen. I never needed to worry about dental insurance as my teeth were in perfect condition. I paid for cleanings out of pocket and since I retired 25 years ago I have only had 3 fillings done. I suppose it is my fault that I didn't start a dental insurance plan but that is another story.

Tricare has help for those who have had damage done by radiation. When damage to your teeth is attributed to the radiation you received for your treatments Tricare will help in fixing your teeth. This care is called adjunct care. If a person receives medical care and then has another medical issue afterward caused by a previous treatment then they can and will approve the care to fix the secondary issue caused by the treatment of the first issue. In my case I found my teeth began flaking off creating rough ridges that would cut into my lips and gums. I was approved to see and Oral Surgeon who told me that they do not like doing extractions as patients who received massive amounts of radiation to the head and neck area was likely to run into other problems as the jaws are weakend because of the treatments and may or may not heal. So Tricare told me to find one of their recommended Oral Surgeons who could fix my teeth whether they be fillings or root canals which I needed. I finally found one to do the fillings however, he did not do root canals. The Oral surgeon I found was 80 miles away and did a good job. Tricare does not have regular dentist and only has oral surgeons. So finding someone to do more than fillings or caps may be a challenge. So if any of you that ever have any kind of treatment that causes another medical condition contact Tricare and question them about adjunct care. It could save you money and headaches. I still haven't found anyone that will do the root canals I need.

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

2010 Tracker Tournament V18 18' 3"
    Mercury 115 Optimax, Mercury Spitfire X7 Prop 19P
    Minn Kota 70b Thrust Maxxum
    6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker
    Lowrance Elite 7 TI (Bow)
    Lowrance HDS7 GEN 3 Touch (Console)
    Smartcraft Merc Monitor (Basic)

2. Banned
    Would you be a candidate for a set of implants that could firmly hold in a pair dentures? Multiple implants are expensive but they work well.