Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My brother did the whole algae slip while I was watching from my boat 50' away, only thing that saved his truck was his open drivers door met the dock and stopped it backward slide! To funny watching him hang on the door to get it shut, I have been using 4x4 when solo launching ever since. And I have a 8000 pound limited slip diesel... yes limited slip helps because both tires will need to slip vs just one and the other will roll with open differential
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

2. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    It’s funny, not really, you even had to mention a limited slip diff. I have had friends buy 4 wheel drives but not get limited slip diffs and I tell them it’s the same as my 2wd with ls. I try to explain what they do but they don’t get it. We get to the hunting club, in wet clay and one front, one rear tire is spinning, THEN they understand.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

3. Member
    I have the G-80 option on my 2007 Silverado. I am not impressed with its ability to effectively add traction but it did cost extra.

4. Banned
    Point #1 - If you have 4x4, use it!
    Point #2 - Always use the parking/emergency brake, but not because putting the tranny in "park" on an incline will harm the gears or park pin, because it won't. What you will see in this slippery ramp situation (and truck in "park" and 2wd, but still sliding down the ramp) is one rear wheel turning forward and the other turning backwards. Having a limited slip won't overcome this. The parking/emergency brake will lock both rear wheels.
    Last edited by Nova Kaw 650; 12-01-2018 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    Point #2 - Always use the parking/emergency brake, but not because putting the tranny in "park" on an incline will harm the gears or park pin, because it won't. What you will see in this slippery ramp situation (and truck in "park" and 2wd, but still sliding down the ramp) is one rear wheel turning forward and the other turning backwards. Having a limited slip won't overcome this. The parking/emergency park will lock both rear wheels.
    Good call. Kawabunga!
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

lol I wouldn't say limited slip will overcome it but it helps. And yes always use parking break, and if in 4x4 if your rears can't turn- one of your fronts can't turn, this one is usually out of the algae slime

7. Member
    About 4 or 5 years ago we launched for a twilight tournament and when we got to the ramp there was a brand new Ford F-250 completely submerged. We all launched without a problem. Coming back in for weighin 4 hours later we see a tow truck and I thought wow, that took awhile to get there, turns out it was fully loaded Ram 2500 and because it was getting dark we could clearly see the cab lights under the water. I always switch my vehicles to 4x4 just while loading an unloading, my new ram 1500 has a automatic parking brake engaging while driver door is open, which works extremely well, pain in the ass while trying to hitch up though. Turns out both guys either didn’t use or didn’t have 4 wheel drive, there was a guy down there that watched both go in the drink, rear wheels spinning on both as they went in. For this reason, anything I buy will have 4x4

8. mikesxpress
    If your rig ever ends up far enough back the rear differential is submerged there is a better than average chance the vent tube for the differential is going to suck water in. This is more likely after towing to the ramp when it's hot. F150 EcoBoost my friend had experienced this and as a result it wiped the gears. $2600.00 lesson. I don't plan on backing my 2018 EB that far in but did extend the vent tube up behind the rear taillight.

9. Member
    My close call was not an algae problem. Although a wet ramp did not help, that was not the issue either.

Many years ago, my first boat, first ever trip in it to Stockton lake. Backing down the wet ramp excited for my first outing with the new boat, and my wife's first time in a bass boat.
    Turns out my rear drum breaks were shot, with all the weight on the rear. Front wheels locked up, tapping the brake trying to slow myself. Only thing that stopped it from going in, was I jacked knifed in the stall. Almost hit a couple people, honking my horn as I was out of control. It was a crappy day, ended up going home early, could not imagine how you guys felt that the vehicle went under!

I always used 4x4 after that at unknown steep ramps, just in case rear breaks are bad and other reason already stated.

Interestingly, I found that my rear drum brakes worked going forward, but little to no breaking in reverse.
    Had new brakes put on by a shop still had the same issue, parking break was same way. Never did figure it out, took it back and said everything looked fine.

I loved that jeep Cherokee, drove it to about 301,000 miles, that inline 6 was a good motor, but hated the brakes.
    Last edited by moetorola; 12-04-2018 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    Point #2 - Always use the parking/emergency brake, but not because putting the tranny in "park" on an incline will harm the gears or park pin, because it won't. What you will see in this slippery ramp situation (and truck in "park" and 2wd, but still sliding down the ramp) is one rear wheel turning forward and the other turning backwards. Having a limited slip won't overcome this. The parking/emergency brake will lock both rear wheels.
    I would make #1
    If you don't have a 4x4, buy one and use the 4x4!

I have always owned a 4x4 for this reason. When I make my last turn to the lake I engage it. Now the 4x4 system on my 4runner is by far the best system I have every owned as far as being user friendly but have never buried it in the mud like I have my Dodges that system works well too but tend to bind on tight dry hard surfaces when they turn hard. The Runner you never know it's engaged other than it goes. No additional noise or loss of fuel mileage that I could ever tell and this is our second runner.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    If your rig ever ends up far enough back the rear differential is submerged there is a better than average chance the vent tube for the differential is going to suck water in..........................
    The vent on mine is quite a ways up on a short hose. I backed my boat in last Winter and when I went to take it out the ramp had iced over. My back wheels were sliding. I just chilled, let it slowly back into the water until the wheels were half submerged. Then I got a running start and ran over the ice. The bottom isn't likely to be frozen.

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    The vent on mine is quite a ways up on a short hose. I backed my boat in last Winter and when I went to take it out the ramp had iced over. My back wheels were sliding. I just chilled, let it slowly back into the water until the wheels were half submerged. Then I got a running start and ran over the ice. The bottom isn't likely to be frozen.
    Yes the vent tube on mine goes all the way to the bottom of the box, and your play with ice is a solid one. But water may get in through the axel ends, I am very cautious not to get farther than my bottom lug nuts with lake level, waves and splashing not to concerned.

13. Member
    4x4 will help this issue. When you were parked you had your foot on the brake, so there was braking at all 4 wheels. You released the brake pedal and that let the brakes off the front axle. The parking brake only locks up the back tires. The transmission will only lock up the back axle if it's in 2wd. If you had it in 4x4 it would have at least 1 front tire locked also. I always put money in 4x4 whenever I'm anywhere that is marginal.

Now that you know about this condition at that particular ramp, perhaps bring along a set of traction mats or similar, and lay them down behind the tires just prior to backing in the last few feet. Maybe that would prevent the direct tire-on-algae slide...?

15. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Well algae is a weed, and an incredible liability, so the local fish and wildlife commission should be there with a few hundred gallons of pesticide to clean the ramp!

I get uncomfortable loading/unloading alone but the ramp I’m using now is in pristine condition, I’m loving it.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

My truck is 4WD so I get it straight when backing, switch into 4WD before I get in the water. But I also chock my left front tire before getting in the boat to off load. I have a long string tied to it so I can pull it in after I start moving up the ramp. Do the same thing when loading the boat on the trailer.

Algae is sometimes a problem but our ramps get used enough not much of it grows. And I generally don't fish after the temps stay below freezing although there has been ice on the ramps in the early mornings on occasion.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12