Thread: NOISE

NOISE

What makes a noise when I stop our take off. It is a jerking motion.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    It could be a lot of things from hitch issues on your tow vehicle to a loose tongue or axle on your trailer. Most common is the brake actuator on the trailer tongue. There will always be some jerking when the brakes release, but drum brakes that need adjusting, low brake fluid, a bad shock in the actuator or a bad master cylinder can make it worse.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpcudaman74 View Post
    What makes a noise when I stop our take off. It is a jerking motion.
    I had a brake line get broken. Once that happened, the actuator would compress and release and make a loud thump when stopping or pulling out. So make sure you don't have a break in a line somewhere.
    Last edited by Whistler; 12-01-2018 at 04:19 PM.

4. Member
    Some late 80’s to 90’s GM light trucks/SUV’s had an issue with this. If jerking/thumping occurs Both on stopping and immediate starting (without trail we as well as with), removing the drive shaft - grease the transmission output shaft splines, and re-install the driveshaft. This joint would rust and the splines would not slide in and out smoothly with the deflection of the third member during stopping and starting.

Common problem among our fleet vehicles during this period. Unknown to me on other makes and models.

5. Member
    I just changed the tongue and ball on my truck yesterday because I don't need the double ball option in Winter. I drilled and tapped the side of the receiver for a 3/8 x 16 bolt and use a bolt with a lock nut to jam it.
    Without that bolt it tends to rattle around inside the receiver when changing direction.

6. Banned
    I did the same thing, only i put the jam bolt on the top.