Family vacation lake?

What’s a good lake/area too take family. Kids will be 11 & 9. I will take bass boat. It’s a vacation too relax and chill. So don’t need a lot of stuff around to do. I have only been to Chautauqua fishing in NY. Fish some not all day like do with dad on our trip. Coming from NE OH so possibly finger lakes area. St Lawrence river maybe?

Right now it’s week of 7-15. I’m worried fishing will be rough that late. I’m gonna try get last week in June or week after 4th.

Originally we were gonna go torch lake area in MI but having serious trouble finding a place. So I’m looking at NY in case that don’t work out.

Thanks for any help.

And yes I have another post on which finger lake too try with my dad!! Didn’t want too combine the questions cause with dad it’s just bout the 
    Last edited by kingfisher42; 11-26-2018 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Addition.

2. Member
    If your thinking Michigan, I would check out the Ludington area. Great Lakes salmon fishing, Hamlin Lake for panfish, bass and walleye. Several fishing guides in the area. Torch Lake is up around Traverse City area.
    dvl2700

3. Member
    Taken the family many times to Oneida in the summer. Fishing is usually good and other lakes close as well. Plenty to do within 45 minutes of the lake.
    We prefer to stay midlake or toward Brewerton.

4. Member
    Take them to the Adirondacks and fish the Fulton Chain near Old Forge. Launch in inlet and you have access to 5 lakes through channels. Also if you’re more into numbers, Raquette would only be a 20min drive from Old Forge and one of the best numbers lakes in the state that doesn’t get a ton of pressure. There’s NYs largest water park right in town and there’s a ton of shops and restaurants nearby. If you wanna go hiking, bald mountain and Rocky Mountain are quick and easy hikes for the family, if you want something more strenuous, hike up blue mountain. Also in blue mountain which is a half hour away from Old Forge is the Adirondack museum.

Or you could go further and go near Lake Placid. You’ll be able to fish The Saranac Chain of Lakes, Tupper Lake, or make a trip to Champlain for the day. If you get bored walk the streets of Lake Placis, go see the Olympic Center and the ski jumps, do a bobsled run down the Olympic track, drive up Whiteface Mountain and see the view from the 3rd highest mountain in NY. You can’t beat the scenery in the Adirondacks.

the time frame you’re going, the fishing will be on. The spawn is always a month later than anywhere else in the state.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Take them to the Adirondacks and fish the Fulton Chain near Old Forge. Launch in inlet and you have access to 5 lakes through channels. Also if you’re more into numbers, Raquette would only be a 20min drive from Old Forge and one of the best numbers lakes in the state that doesn’t get a ton of pressure. There’s NYs largest water park right in town and there’s a ton of shops and restaurants nearby. If you wanna go hiking, bald mountain and Rocky Mountain are quick and easy hikes for the family, if you want something more strenuous, hike up blue mountain. Also in blue mountain which is a half hour away from Old Forge is the Adirondack museum.

Or you could go further and go near Lake Placid. You’ll be able to fish The Saranac Chain of Lakes, Tupper Lake, or make a trip to Champlain for the day. If you get bored walk the streets of Lake Placis, go see the Olympic Center and the ski jumps, do a bobsled run down the Olympic track, drive up Whiteface Mountain and see the view from the 3rd highest mountain in NY. You can’t beat the scenery in the Adirondacks.

the time frame you’re going, the fishing will be on. The spawn is always a month later than anywhere else in the state.

thanks man. that looks interesting. i like how all the lakes are just numbered lol
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

6. Member
    Haha ya it makes it easy to know where you’re at for sure. Can’t get to 6th-8th from 5th lake though. For them you have to launch at the 7th lake state launch, my best friend lives on the channel between 6th and 7th so I’ve fished that area a lot. Tons and tons of smallies and if you get bored, throw on a rapala and troll for lakers
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by herndonpro View Post
    Taken the family many times to Oneida in the summer. Fishing is usually good and other lakes close as well. Plenty to do within 45 minutes of the lake.
    We prefer to stay midlake or toward Brewerton.
    The problem with Oneida is leaving the boat in the water. The lake can just get too rough. If you don't mind putting on a trailer every day it can work. There's not much else to do there either. Sylvan beach is ok. The finger lakes are crazy expensive. 1000 islands are good, and you said Chautauqua which is a decent choice too. Also the bays on lake Ontario aren't bad( Sodu, Fair Haven)

8. Member
    which of finger lakes get weedy along shore?(im sure they all have weeds just didnt know if they were like chautuaqua which is completely rimmed with weeds by july.) idk if kids would dig jumping in water with the weeds? Im sure by july 15th the weeds will be up good. Any alage problems like chautuaqua? That lake turns complete green!!
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

You can find weed along the shoreline on most of them. Cayuga is full of weeds on the north end and some of the south end - but its also nearly 500' deep. Seneca is nearly 700. You can find just about any type of habitat you want to fish on the finger lakes - weed, rock, wood, deep, shallow etc.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    You can find weed along the shoreline on most of them. Cayuga is full of weeds on the north end and some of the south end - but its also nearly 500' deep. Seneca is nearly 700. You can find just about any type of habitat you want to fish on the finger lakes - weed, rock, wood, deep, shallow etc.
    yes sir navy used to test submarines on seneca 700 plus

11. Member
    That’s some deep h2o
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

12. Member
    Try Black Lake Ny. Easy access Family friendly and close to St Lawrence river nice area for sightseeing and fishing. accommodation are reasonable

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kingfisher42 View Post
    which of finger lakes get weedy along shore?(im sure they all have weeds just didnt know if they were like chautuaqua which is completely rimmed with weeds by july.) idk if kids would dig jumping in water with the weeds? Im sure by july 15th the weeds will be up good. Any alage problems like chautuaqua? That lake turns complete green!!
    Cayuga has at least 2 good sand bars for swimming.

14. Member
    Did a family vacation this past summer on conesus lake. Plenty of grass along the edges. Fishing was okay but not great. Few smaller lakes close to fish and a few bigger lakes not far away. Some good hiking and family things to do as well within reasonable distances. If your looking for excellent fishing probably not the best choice but it is close by for you.

15. Member
    think no matter what fishing might be tough that time of year. i couldnt talk the old lady into earlier for chance the water still be cold....im hitting couple finger lakes first week of june with dad. should be good then
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

16. Member
    Up near Rochester you have the very much overlooked Silver lake. Loaded with nice largemouth, smallmouth, and pike. Short ride to Darien Lake Six Flags and beautiful Letchworth state park.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

17. Member
    TABLE ROCK LAKE IS A GOOD VAC. AREA WITH LOTS OF GOOD PLACES TO EAT AND GO CARTS AND SHOWS AT NIGHT WE LOVE THIS PLACE IN THE MISSOURI SILVER DOLLAR CITY TOO. GOOD CHOICE FOR VACATION CHECK IT OUT <))))))))><