Thread: 1911 mods

Banned

1911 mods

I have a Colt Series 70 that has the full guide rod in it and just ordered a Trik trigger for it, I was thinking about having a beavertail safety installed, but I'm not sure I want to cut the frame. May also get a magwell put in.
    Have already polished the feed ramp and barrel, and was thinking about having the breech face polished, and getting dovetails milled for some decent sights. Although the local gunsmith here quoted me a price of 500 bucks to mill the slide, Novak will be considerably less.

Any mods you folks have had done that you really like?

2. Member
    Had my Colt 1991 black Ceracoated. Then added all stainless Wilson Combat controls, trigger, hammer, slide stop, safety, mainspring housing, match barrel bushing, grip screws, and grip safety. Put Hogue Cocobolo grips on it and polished the feed ramp.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

3. Banned
    Was thinking about the Ceracoat, the local shop here will do a pistol for 90 bucks. Have had the Hogue finger groove grips on it for a long time, I like them. Did you install the stainless parts yourself?

4. Member
    You'd be better off just buying new 1911 or a good used one that has that stuff already on it. It would save you money in the long run. There are lots of good ones on the market these days and tons of good used ones out there that need a good home.

5. Member
    I had it all done by a gunsmith. The trigger, bushing, hammer, and beaver tail all had to be hand fitted. My neighbor did the Ceracoat. Yes, I have a good amount in it and probably could go buy a new one that looks the same for less. But, there were not that many choices when I bought it and I get satisfaction of having a Colt that is unique. Nobody else has a Colt that looks like mine!

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

6. Banned
    I have owned this gun for 30 yrs, and like NoCal said, nobody has one like mine. I have already made it a two tone with the brushed nickel frame and parkerized slide. I will fit the trigger myself, but fitting a hammer, slide stop, and safety will be done be a smith.

7. Member
    I've owned a 1911 and would really like to take a 70 to Wilson (40 minutes away) for beavertail, front grip serrations, night sights, bullet proofed, lowered & flared ejection port, and maybe a crowned barrel. Look on their website they have a price list for each model they do.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    I've owned a 1911 and would really like to take a 70 to Wilson (40 minutes away) for beavertail, front grip serrations, night sights, bullet proofed, lowered & flared ejection port, and maybe a crowned barrel. Look on their website they have a price list for each model they do.
    I looked at sending it to Wilson, but after they do the mods, you could probably get another one for the same price. Of course, if I lived 40 min away, I would probably do that. They do some quality work!

Speaking of 1911's, has anyone seen the gunstories on outdoor channel where they make 2 matching 1911's out of a meteor? I saw a preview of it but not the actual show, maybe its not shown yet.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    Speaking of 1911's, has anyone seen the gunstories on outdoor channel where they make 2 matching 1911's out of a meteor? I saw a preview of it but not the actual show, maybe its not shown yet.
    Cabot weapons. I believe they are called "The Big Bang" model.. 4.5 million for the pair. Here is a link http://cabotgun.com/oak-collection/t...-pistol-set/#1

11. Member

USA

It is on "Gun Story's" this week, interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by acesover View Post
    Cabot weapons. I believe they are called "The Big Bang" model.. 4.5 million for the pair. Here is a link http://cabotgun.com/oak-collection/t...-pistol-set/#1
    I was guessing $250K, I was off a little

13. Banned
    If it's an old Colt don't go cutting on it. Drop in mods are fine, since they can be reversed without issue. If you want a 1911 to cut up and mod you can find Springfield GI's for cheap. Or get a Rock Island.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    If it's an old Colt don't go cutting on it. Drop in mods are fine, since they can be reversed without issue. If you want a 1911 to cut up and mod you can find Springfield GI's for cheap. Or get a Rock Island.
    Exactly the way I think. That is why there is not a Wilson beavertail safety on it. I do think I will get the slide milled for sights as I have a spare slide to use. And I don't get any hammer bite with the stock safety.