Merc Opti 225 hours?

Looking at a buying a 2015 Phoenix with a Merc Opti 225.....hours on the motor are just a shade over 500, and 300 of those are at idle speeds.....is this considered a lot of hours on a used motor? Anything I should be cautious of?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KJW83 View Post
    Looking at a buying a 2015 Phoenix with a Merc Opti 225.....hours on the motor are just a shade over 500, and 300 of those are at idle speeds.....is this considered a lot of hours on a used motor? Anything I should be cautious of?
    Might try the 3L forum (what this engine is). I'd also suggest you obtain and post engine serial number as well. One of the pros here can look it up and check engine history.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Additionally, take a look at this thread:

Checkout Recommendations for a Used Engine

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I would rather buy a motor with 500 hours that has been maintained properly and is verifiable than one with 200 hours that has not been
    Thank You Leon Pugh