Aluminum plug stripped on caliber.

Was going to change the oil on my 2007 Stratos but the oil plug stripped when trying to get it out of the caliper. The guy I bought the boat from said it has never been changed. Any idea how to get the stripped plug out?
    Last edited by Big Bass Man; 11-25-2018 at 12:52 PM.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    What kind of oil and what is a caliber?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    What kind of oil and what is a caliber?
    Fluid filled brake caliper.

You should post this on the Trailers page as well but since there has never been any maint performed on them since when it was new you might as well replace the calipers and brakes. It's likely your existing are froze up and done in.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    You should post this on the Trailers page as well but since there has never been any maint performed on them since when it was new you might as well replace the calipers and brakes. It's likely your existing are froze up and done in.
    Will do. Thanks!!

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Might as well try vise grips now. Usually a flare nut wrench will help keep the bleeder from stripping
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Might as well try vise grips now. Usually a flare nut wrench will help keep the bleeder from stripping
    It's fluid filled hubs. It's the allen plug that holds the oil in.

It's the pipe plug that is stripped. He is talking about it at the 1:27 mark of the video.

It's actually the hub oil plug not the caliper plug. Sorry!

10. Member
    If you can spin hub with screw up on top. Spray with penetrating oil, then tap a smaller sized bit in it and try to turn and see if it breaks loose. If that does not work. I would pull the hub.ight be good time to check the bearings and see what the condition they are in. Once removed you can weld a bit to the screw and remove. If you pull the hub make sure you replace the outer and inner rubber seals.
    My Stratos trailer had oil hubs. No issues at time of purchase used, but I converted mine back to grease. As you know if a oil hub seal fails you will not make it that far. One hopes when it fails they spot it in time not to damage the spindle shaft.
    Good luck

11. Member
    You will probably need to remove the rotor. Then you can work at removing the plug. Good time to check your brake pads, rotors and bearings. Make sure your calibers move in and out properly. If the rotors are worn just replace with new and you will not have to worry with the plug. Get new plugs and apply a little anti-seize to the threads when you install the new rotors.

12. Hawg Catcher!! Big Bass Man's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies!!

Haven't had any issues at all, as of yet, with the bearings. I was just wanting to change the oil, to try not to have issues. I sure wished they would have used a metal plug vs aluminum.

13. Member
    The plugs in mine are steel but I had to be very careful when removing the plugs to change the oil. Mine use an allen wrench for removal. I made sure it was tapped in as deep as I could get it and then applied pressure to remove it. I think it's a 50-50 shot to get that plug out if it has been a while since it was removed.

99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

15. Hawg Catcher!! Big Bass Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by e-tec View Post