Thread: chinewalking?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn View Post
    This. I was told to drive thru it, wrong. As I understand it you are balancing the boat on the "V". I need alot more seat time, at least that's what I tell my wife.
    If you try to drive through it with a Alison you will learn what the term washing the stickers mean!! I truly believe that is why my buddie got rid of a beautiful 2002 I set up for him, he will never admit it! Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

Quote Originally Posted by TritonBrad View Post
    Yup
    bump

Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Skeeter....
    +1

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn View Post
    This. I was told to drive thru it, wrong. As I understand it you are balancing the boat on the "V". I need alot more seat time, at least that's what I tell my wife.
    Not the V. Boats being discussed do not have a V. The pad is around 1 foot wide and if you are really up on the pad at what ever speed that takes you will be running on an area that is decreasing in size proportional to speed. The faster you go the length of the pad that is in the water gets less and makes it harder to keep balanced≥
    Last edited by gehol; 12-06-2018 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Changed speed to get panties un wadded.

Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    Not the V. Boats being discussed do not have a V. The pad is around 1 foot wide and if you are really up on the pad (80+) you will be running on an area about a foot wide by 2-3 foot long. That is what you are balancing the boat on.
    That depends on the boat and the speed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Member
    I defined the boat and speed. The discussion was bass boats with a padded hull and I defined the speed. When a bass boat gets to 80+ it will be riding on a very small amount of the pad. Pads are around a foot or so side and only the rear 2-3 feet will be on the water. Where did I go wrong? !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by gehol; 12-06-2018 at 08:21 AM.

I defined the boat and speed. The discussion was bass boats with a padded hull and I defined the speed. When a bass boat gets to 80+ it will be riding on a very small amount of the pad. Pads are around a foot or so side and only the rear 2-3 feet will be on the water. Where did I go wrong? !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Not all padded bass boats will run 80+. Very small group that will run that speed.

8. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    While we’re picking nits K-Dawg is technically right. My old Gemini with a 150XR6 would “chinewalk” really bad if you didn’t know how to drive and that little thing got nowhere near 80+! It did ride on the last 2’ on the flat pad though...probably about 63.

I used to scare my dad pretty good by making it worse with the wheel...but it was easy to correct.

I would hate to feel what washing the stickers would feel like!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

9. Member
    Guys, I did not say you had to be running 80+ to get chine walking. My point is that as speed increases the boat is setting on a smaller area and I was pointing out to Mr. Dunn that it is not trying to balance on a V, but rather on the pad that is getting a smaller foot print as speed goes up. My 20XD will begin to walk a little at around 60-65. By 80 you have to be driving it and paying attention.
    Lt. Kelly was criticizing something I did not say. He said it depended on the type boat and speed. I agree100%. I specified the type of hull. As speed goes up and the boat gets higher on the pad, the footprint becomes smaller. I have never seen a bass boat not chine walk up at 80+ but, has nothing to do with a V bottom. In my original post would you all feel better if I had used 60 MPH? Heck, I will go back an edit it.

Hopefully my edit will satisfy y'all.

10. Member
    Yes they have it's the driver.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjtriton View Post
    Yes they have it's the driver.
    ??

12. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I was just joking gehol, I understood exactly what you were saying and just playing along with the nit picking!

I know I’d like to do 80 across the water but I’m gonna need a bigger boat!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    I was just joking gehol, I understood exactly what you were saying and just playing along with the nit picking!

I know I’d like to do 80 across the water but I’m gonna need a bigger boat!
    All in fun, I just did not and still don't understand Jjtriton's comment. I have to admit I am a bit of a speed freak. I am getting a bit long in the tooth and don't trust my reflexes like I use to. I have only had my current boat to 85 a few times. I mostly just fish now.
    Last edited by gehol; 12-06-2018 at 07:54 PM.

My guess is when you took offence or offense to a comment that wasn't meant to be personal about the fact that some pad V boats will be running on less than 2-3 feet of pad when exceeding "(80+)"

Regardless of how "side" the pad is..
    Last edited by fishnfireman; 12-07-2018 at 08:04 AM.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    My guess is when you took offence to a comment that wasn't meant to be personal about the fact that some pad V boats will be running on less 2-3 feet of pad when exceeding "(80+)"
    Ah so you were talking about the dimension in that you thought it would be less than I said. Uh, ok. Sounded like you were saying I did not specify type and speed.
    I did not mean to appear to be taking offence or offense. It is all good, LOL.

All in fun, I just did not and still don't understand Jjtriton's comment. I have to admit I am a bit of a speed freak. I am getting a bit long in the tooth and don't trust my reflexes like I use to. I have only had my current boat to 85 a few times. I mostly just fish now.
    Question: have they discovered a solution to chine walking
    jtriton answer: yes the driver

AKA there is no boat design/configuration that can "fix" physics. only the driver
    -Justin
    2006 Stratos 294 - 200 Merc Optimax

17. Member
    Ya, finally got it, just a little slow. Actually that was the best answer.

18. Member
    It is really hard to tell someone how to counter act chine walking. It is best to have a experienced driver that has ran several different brands show someone what to do to stop the boat from chine walking. I started out with a 15ft Hydra-Sport with a 150, then a 17ft Hydra-Sport with a 200. One of the biggest things that changed over the years is hydraulic steering. We had dual rack systems on those boats which had a lot of right hand wheel torque which made you pull the steering wheel down to the left. You don't have that feeling with hydraulic steering, so you must create it gradually. When you are up and running on the pad everything about the boat wants to go left because of prop torque, you must pull the steering wheel down to eliminate that torque. You don't jerk, and snatch the wheel. That what I meant about the driver.

19. Member
    Explained well. My first Bullet had the dual cable. Different animal.

20. Member
    YES SEAT TIME!! Learn to make love to it ( bump steer into the walk) . Here’s the tricky part. You have to feel and anticipate what the bow is about to do and counter it before it happens..when you can accomplish this she will hold true . I have a 17 v bullet with a 200 merc on her. You best make love to her or she’ll start that slither.. my other ride is an f-20 also with a 200 merc. For years people would comment that these hulls were undrivable. Nonsense. SEAT TIME. SET UP is also crucial, but I wouldn’t consider either of my rigs to be completely set up properly. Sooo... SEAT TIME!! Good luck and BE SAFE!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast