Jerkbait Rod - st croix vs Dobyns

Does anyone have actual experience with both a Dobyns 684cb or 704cb and a St croix Avid 68mxf? How would you compare the two rods?

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

2. Member
    I have 2 custom croixs built on the IV blank and in the past I had the dobyns 704. Simply put I don’t care for a parabolic rod for jerkbaits. That’s what you need to decide
    Nitro z21

3. Member
    Everyone is different. I also do not like a parabolic action for jerkbaits. I do have a Mojo 68mxf spinning rod. The XF action is a little too stiff (for me) with a 110 size jerkbait. The Mojo 70MF (plastics) rod hits the nail on the head for jerkbaits. If I wanted a shorter rod I would go with the 68MF (jerkbaits). No idea on the Dobyns.

I am old, sliced up and arthritic hands and find too much work using a medium moderate rod for jerkbaits.

4. Member
    I have the St Croix and I have a lighter Dobyns extreme 702’i use for small jerkbait and finesse applications,

The St Croix I prefer for general jerkbaits. With the faster action I believe you get better movement especially side to side. The dobyns is better for light air for distance casting those lighter baits. I would prefer a faster action but need that tip in the rod to get it out there. Some guys like slower action for the distance and how it works the bait and some people like Faster actions. Both work but it’s a lot of preference.

FYI both of these were caught on a Dobyns 684CB with a MB 110

You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

6. Member
    I own the dobyns 704cb and it is by far my favorite rod for 110 jerkbaits. I would not call this rod parabolic in the traditional sense. It has plenty power in the tip to work the bait, but a nice, moderate taper to keep fish pinned. Simply put, I see no reason to look for a different jerkbait rod for my purposes.

7. Member
    2 really different actions/rods really. I'm a big big dobyns fan but the one rod I will never get rid of from St. Croix is the LTB 68MXF for jerkbaits. I love the XF tip for imparting action. Just the way I've always fished them. Tried a "slower" blank and it just didn't feel right to me. Lots and lots of people swear by the 704 and 684/684 for jerkbaits. Different strokes.

The Dobyns 684 and 685 are killer jerkbait rods - I am one who like a little more action too so I prefer the 685 except in really coldwater. I don't consider these parabolic at all - in fact I really don't like them for cranks, they are specifically jerkbait rods IMO. The 704 has a little softer feel due to the length. You do have to be careful with Megabass hooks and the 5 power as you can bend them.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

9. Member
    I've got the 704cb, and it's pretty loose. I love it for a vision 110, thin trebles are no match for this rod. It keeps fish pinned, and I don't have any issues getting the right action out of my light jerkbaits. I don't think I live too far from you. I'm in Macomb on 25 & Romeo plank, you're more than welcome to check it out.

10. Member
    I’m a St Croix fanboy but not really a big fan of the higher end rods for jerkbaits. I like a softer tip to impart action and St Croix casting rods are a little too still for that. A St.Croix premier would be better for jerkbaits honestly
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

I would choose St-Croix

12. Member
    which dobyns spinning rod for JERKBAITS???
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

Quote Originally Posted by BassVoodoo View Post
    which dobyns spinning rod for JERKBAITS???
    68mxf avid

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

Personally I found the 704cb too whippy. I don't fish jerkbaits often so I don't have a ton to go on. I throw mine on a Kistler Helium III 7' 0" Light/Medium Heavy Fast casting rod. I used it the last two seasons with a 110 and it worked really well...could have used just a little less power since this rod is more of a Medium+ power.