Solas Scorpion Question

Does anyone know how a Scorpion is out of the box? I know some props aren’t that great new out of the box. I wasn’t sure about the Scorpion. Would I gain much if I had it balanced and blueprinted.

What boat and motor? Chances are, there is a better prop for your set up than the scorpion.

3. Member
    I run a 198 Champion with a 225 HPDI. I have tried several different props and the Yamaha 25M seems to give me the most speed but I’ve thrown blades on two of them this year and both while in tournaments. I am not a fan of that. I have tried a Tempest and didn’t have much success with it. I wanted to try a Yamaha T1 but didn’t have access to one so I bought a Scorpion. It performs very well with great bow lift and handles great. I am running it at 68 gps at 5600 RPMs. I would like to get my RPMs up around 5800-5900. The Scorpion I’m running is a 23 pitch so i can’t go down in pitch on it anymore. I am pleased with how it performs on my boat I was just curious if I would gain anything by having it balanced and blueprinted.

4. Member
    Why can't you go down in pitch ? Those props usually aren't the best performing props around. If you found one that works well you might leave it alone. Or have some pitch taken out to gain some rpms, a good b&b might help but your taking your chances

A b&b might help you some. I'm sure Mark could get you the rpm, might even gain a lil' speed.

The Scorpions are very under rated (in pitch). They are about two pitches stiffer than what they are rated at.

You would probably see more benefit from re-pitching it (down). Mark can do that in conjunction with his standard balance/blueprint. All that together will probably get you noticeable results. That Yamaha needs to wind out. It runs best closer to 6k rpms.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

7. Member
    I have one they work good out of the box. The only problem I have is that mine likes to break loose on holeshot. I can turn a 26 bravo to 6100rpm but my Scorpion 24 I do good to get 5800. I think a 23 is what I need. One of the best bow lifting prop I have ever used.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99intimidator View Post
    I have one they work good out of the box. The only problem I have is that mine likes to break loose on holeshot. I can turn a 26 bravo to 6100rpm but my Scorpion 24 I do good to get 5800. I think a 23 is what I need. One of the best bow lifting prop I have ever used.
    i run a stock scorpion on my powercat and love it. super all around lift and top end. there all stiff by 2'' a24 turns like a 26'' for the price there a deal. never heard any neg reviews i dont know why there not more popular, keeps up to my worked chopper and smooth runnin.78gps @ 6000

9. Member
    I had a new one on my boat for about a month and like how it ran. My propshaft broke and now its at the bottom of the lake. I bought another one to put back on my new lower unit but I just wasn't sure if it was worth sending it to have B&B'd or not. I agree its pretty good out of the box, or so it seems.

10. Member
    i think rework would be money wasted. the prop is outstanding, as is.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gambler4 View Post
    Why can't you go down in pitch ? Those props usually aren't the best performing props around. If you found one that works well you might leave it alone. Or have some pitch taken out to gain some rpms, a good b&b might help but your taking your chances
    ill put the scorpion up against any popular brand. every review read gives it a 10+!