Thread: Rod Cork

Rod Cork

Upgraded a few rods over the last couple years, just curious, what are you guys doing for sealing or cleaning the cork handles. Seems the higher end cork on more expensive rods gets dirty fast....

Maybe it’s just because some of them are so fun to fish that I don’t put them down too

2. Member
    I only have three cork handles left and clean them with Mr. Clean sponge cleaners. I used to use Dawn and a scrubby. I have not sealed them and keep thinking I will, but just clean them periodically. I thinks there is a cork sealer called U 40 that a lot of anglers use. I hope I have the sealer correct.

3. Member
    Yep I use u40 when I first receive the rod and then magic eraser after a season or when it darkens

4. Member
    Yes Magic eraser works great for cleaning cork

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chato View Post
    Yes Magic eraser works great for cleaning cork
    I used on several of my old rods and it worked very well.

Regarding U40 I used it for first time this year and like it. One thing to note is I also used it on two new Diawa Tatula 2018 models and it darkened the cork a shade. Its super thin and i used a sponge brush to apply followed by a dry sponge then wiped with a coffee filter to get one thin coat. They turned out nice

6. Member
    Does the U40 make the handle slick ?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Does the U40 make the handle slick ?
    I was worried about that too after reading some other comments on a rod building forum so i applied as thin of coat as possible. It didn't make them slick even when i wet them down but it did darken my new corks a shade. I like it so far but have chosen not to apply it on my fly rods until I see how these hold up.

I've been using U-40 for about 10 years now, thats the first thing I do when I get a new rod is add U-40.

Like others have said, it does make it a little darker, but IMO it feels better when done and keeps the cork nice for years.

9. Member
    I have been a U-40 user for over 10 years like Flex mentioned. Excellent product which protects cork from pitting. Best to use as soon as you buy a rod. However, it will seal your old cork once it has been cleaned.

10. Banned
    For a used rod Go on mud hole get some cork pit paste clean the cork fill the voids get light sand paper and take excess off and it will make cork look new then put on u 40 I have u 40 on a used rod it doesn’t look great

11. Member
    i use babywipes to clean the corks and it does a really good job for my rods. In the past I've used U40 cork sealer but have stopped using them because it I just don't like how it makes the cork darker and don't like the feel of them (feels more slippery).
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13