Thread: Crappie fishing

Crappie fishing

I've caught a few crappie here and there, but never solely targeted them.

Was thinking I might give it a try this year.

Can anyone offer some advice on hunting them down?

I see the crappie fishermen usually trolling open water...do they find them on the graph and then start trolling, or do they just know where they are from experience? Recommendations on live bait and artificials? Also...is there a time of day that the bite is better for crappie? (morning/ mid-day / evening)

Any input is appreciated, thanks.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

2. Member
    Early in the year they are out in the open water, later they are in up in the grass and reeds spawning.

3. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Walter...that’s creepy! I was wondering the exact same thing myself yesterday! I’ve caught a few in accident but watching Mr. Crappie on tv...well he’s a riot!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Me and a buddy went out to Lake Carlton on Harris Chain yesterday to try out the crappie bite.

We ended up with 2...so...it's a start.

We ended up drifting minnows on light gear with 2 hooks rigged up on a drop-shot type setup....They are going to cook nice with the 29" snook we got from Friday night.

Wish we had more though...we had a blast out there trying to figure out the crappie....we would find them on the graph...but they would move quick.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles

5. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I see people popping them in the boat left and right but it’s usually when the water temp drops a little. It was right at 68.5-70 today. When January hits I know they head to the deepest hole and wait. I still wanna shoot docks like Mr. Crappie!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    I see people popping them in the boat left and right but it’s usually when the water temp drops a little. It was right at 68.5-70 today. When January hits I know they head to the deepest hole and wait. I still wanna shoot docks like Mr. Crappie!
    Been a lot of crappie guys at the ramps every day that I go out. They say they are catching them, but I don't think they are full blown catchin' em yet...

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles