9.9 Yamaha prop removal

Hey guys, trying to take the prop off my 2013 Yamaha 9.9 kicker. I tried to turn the nut, and it really did not seem to want to turn at all. I was afraid something, like maybe the shaft, might break. What's the trick to getting the prop off here?
    I'm trying to upload a pic here of the nut and the weird fitting below it, but for some reason it's not working.
    2002 Lund ProV 2025 Magnum /Yamaha 200 HPDI

2. Member
    Did you remove the cauterpin?

No, I'm a complete idiot who asks stupid questions.
    Yes. Of course I did.

4. Member
    Did you turn the nut counter clock wise? lol

I take it your not trying to hold the pop while you turn the nut right? I would soak it with break free then try after letting it sit for awhile, then make sue you grease the shaft during your annual maintenance. If you have done all this then cool, no one tying to say your an idiot asking dumb questions.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

6. Member
    Block the prop with a 2x4 between a blade and the cav plate and should be able to get but loose with a regular length ratchet. And you won’t be able to break the shaft with that.

I actually did try to turn it both ways, thinking it may break loose one way or the other. No dice. I will soak it, give it a try and see how that works. The block of wood is also a good idea. I've been holding it thus far and still felt like something might break, but I'll soak it good and hopefully that works.

Hey, I never did get back with you all on here, but just remembered to do so. I sprayed it with some panther piss, waited a few days, and the sucker came right off, no problems at all. Good thing too; I took it to the prop shop, and he did need to tweak a blade, just as I suspected. Glad I got it done. Prop is back on, tightened down and ready to go. Now, if we can ever dig out from all this freakin snow....