Thread: ZX225 2019

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ZX225 2019

Looking at a new zx225. SHO 225, 1 pole, atlas hyd plate.....ect. Wanting to know how they ride,and what speed can i expect? Might add a 2nd pole. Thanks in advance. I run a 21ft Ranger now, 67 is top speed, but it rides great. Wanting to get a newer boat.

2. Member
    Search feature is your friend, low 70s on average.

3. Wren
    I purchased my new 2018 ZX225 in May, love it. It has hydraulic Atlas jackplate, just added two blades, very stable ride and fast for a boat weighing in at 2000lbs, you should see 72 to 74 depending on setup and time of year (water temp).

4. Member
    I purchased a XZ225 new in 2016 and its the best boat I have ever owned at any price....and I have owned several brands and have fished out of several more too. The Skeeter is by far the most stable platform...the best handling platform (it steers itself at 65 mph)...with a bit of practice you will be able to make a direct u turn at 60mph with ease...the hole shot is amazing...72mph speed fully loaded and with excellent fuel economy...ample storage...dry ride in rough water...cuts through boat wakes like butter...I have added the second power pole, the Yamaha interface with the sonic hub stereo, a passenger console, and an additional butt seat. There are always a few things that I do not care for in any boat...and the bug has minimal...the day box is made with a plastic that is too thin...you have to get in some saddle time in order to get the hang of how to load the boat onto the trailer...and the factory cover has bare metal hooks at the rear that you have to be careful with when using the cover along with velcro flaps that allow water to get to the bare metal ratchet straps in a rain storm....that is it! You will not be disappointed with the purchase overall! best of luck in your decision!

5. Member
    I have a 19’. 70 even with a load is what to expect. Very stable and quick learning curve compared to other brands. I have had a few issues with things like a few loose wires, a few small gel cracks under the seats, but nothing extremely out of ordinary. I will add that I personally do not think fuel exconomy is that good. I haven’t done an exact test yet as I’m still breaking it in, but each trim of a few hours easily burns over half the tank off.

6. Member
    I have the zx250 but I am sure the ZX225 would be just as good. I love mine. Only reason I got the ZX250 over the ZX225 was because I got a hold over for a great price! edw has nailed it. everything he posted is exactly the DEAL.

7. Member
    Thanks guys. i have to deside what move i want to make. Its a zx225,or a Ranger 519.

8. Member
    I have had a 250 Mercury pro Xs, a 250 Evinrude, a 225 E-tec H.O. in the past and I believe that the SHO 225 has the least operating cost "overall" when compared to having to purchase 2 stroke oil along with gasoline...just to inform you better...I should have better described my thoughts...By the way...please keep in mind that Skeeter will always be a Skeeter...and Ranger, Nitro, Triton, Tracker, and the lost "Legend" have all fallen into one group with a few other unmentioned brands...Triton has been told to me to be phased out within two years, Legend was purchased and immediately shut down, Nitro will eventually receive modifications from those two brands...whats next??? ...not bashing any one of these brands!...just a pun on you know who!

9. Member
    While not the same boat i have a 2008 zx225 i bought new and still love the boat and will be upgrading this year to another zx225.

10. Member
    I purchased a 2018 in May. Fastest speed I got was about 73, however it was a 70 MPH boat almost day in and day out. If you remove the tackle storage trays that come in the boat you will eliminate roughly 40 pounds and make it easier for your storage. Another good thing about the current deck layout is the dual day box. Driver side storage set up is ok, not the best but not the worst either. The center storage is probably my least favorite thing about it however it works. The boat itself is amazing, rides good, fast enough to get where you need to go and as far as the motor goes the SHO is probably the best motor to hit the market. Just my opinion

I get 67 max with full load and 40 gallons w/ T1 25...
    someone let me know if 8 dots high is too much...or how I can get to 69-70...
    cannot get over 5,700rpm now (was less till raised engine a bit)...
    2016 ZX225 cruises well at 62 or so all day..

(had to get drop in bait box replaced so watch that and all plastic storage)

Best loading level is an inch of water over stainless steps in front of wheel, 3 inches or no inches could be a 20 minute take out...engine now has 327 hours and so been thru it all.....

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reelman View Post
    I get 67 max with full load and 40 gallons w/ T1 25...
    someone let me know if 8 dots high is too much...or how I can get to 69-70...
    cannot get over 5,700rpm now (was less till raised engine a bit)...
    2016 ZX225 cruises well at 62 or so all day..

(had to get drop in bait box replaced so watch that and all plastic storage)

Best loading level is an inch of water over stainless steps in front of wheel, 3 inches or no inches could be a 20 minute take out...engine now has 327 hours and so been thru it all.....
    Send your prop to Mark Croxton with your numbers and let him work his magic. I know I run at 7 Dots on my 2015 ZX250. I'm thinking you may need more cup in the prop to help lift the hull more.

Its been to MC w/ZX225 note ...maybe need it again with specific cupping

14. Member
    ZX 250 and you can't beat these boats. Great speed, dry ride, and comfortable.!!

Hey edw....exactly what is your setup...prop and dots?
    I can not get 70 with 40 gallons and T load with my 2016 ZX225.

16. Member
    Sorry for the delay reelman....I have a hydraulic jack plate made by Sea Star (the makers of the common steering set ups)...so dots are not in reference to your question..the prop is stock for the boat from Yamaha...Also..I only use the jack plate to load and unload and traverse shallow water as it hasn't seemed to make a hill of beans of difference as I have experimented with it it to gain more speed vs trim...it must me in your trim adjustment and overall weight distribution in my opinion. I leave it almost all the way down in most cases, if not all the way down. My set up loves the trim way up as far as the gauge reads for ultimate speed and handling...recently my partner's plastic tackle box levitated right out of the boat while resting on the cooler lid... and we did a direct u turn at 65 mph to retrieve it and got it back! Needless to say he ended up bumping shoulders with me as I warned him in advance to hang on! I saved him well oven $400 bucks in tackle....

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BASSINONE View Post
    Thanks guys. i have to deside what move i want to make. Its a zx225,or a Ranger 519.
    I got a 225, and my buddy has a 119. I spend equal time in each boat. Ranger has more room for passengers, and is a bit smoother in light chop. It is also a bit more stable in rough water when fishing. The front deck is wider on the 119 than the 225, but the design of the Ranger once a few rods go on the deck, the Skeeters deck is wider. Both decks on the skeeter have more standing area. The day box is a great feature on Skeeters.

18. Member
    Never been in a 519 (newer one) but betting a way better ride out of the Skeeter

19. Member
    Which 519, the regular 519 or the 519 L Comanche?

You won't like the ride in either of those if you currently drive a 21ft Ranger. The ZX225 is way faster, and will feel like a sports car vs the 21ft Ranger. It won't ride nearly as smooth/soft though. I went from a 521VX to a ZX225. The Skeeter is fun in calm water, but not in rough water. If you fish a lot of big water, stay in a 21+foot boat. Just my 2 cents.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast