Receiver Ball Height Recommendation

I just purchased new tires for my 2500 Chevy. Old tires were 265/75r16, new tires 285/75r16. It looks like the new tires are 1.2 inches larger diameter than previous, which should raise my truck axles 0.6 inches. My boat is a 2017 Jaguar with the 18 inch Bass Sport wheels.

My question is what the height should be from the ground to the top of the ball for my above trailer set up ?? And is this measured with the tongue weight on the ball or without ?? I seem to recall either a 19 or 20 inch recommendation I believe, but memory may be off, and tried to search the new forum without any success. I have never measured the height before the tire change as well. I am getting some tire wear on the outside of the front tires right greater than left(if standing behind the trailer). I wondered if some of this might be caused by improper ball height vs axle misalignment ??

I will be pulling the boat on a long trip soon and wanted to make sure I minimize tire wear. Any info would be appreciated !!!

Thanks, Bill
    Last edited by BassCatDoc; 11-23-2018 at 05:04 PM.

2. Member
    I put a 4' level on the trailer and adjusted my ball height to make the trailer level when loaded on the ball. I have an EYRA with the aluminum trailer option with the 18" wheels and I'm at about 22" of ball height when unloaded. Make sure you check the tightness of the torsion axle bolts every now and then because if they are loose at all then your tires will wiggle and cause excessive wear and your bearings will fail prematurely.

Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

3. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I would test your height with the boat hooked to your truck. I changed my hitch set up because I was towing with an insert that had my trailer riding higher in the front than the back. I put a lower receiver in and now that my trailer is just under level (about an inch lower in the front than the back) the boat pulls totally different.

Before the trailer would sway and bounce, now I can’t tell she’s back there.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

About 20” for most to top f the ball today, the range is 19”-21”.

6. Member
    Thanks guys, I think the level sounds like the best plan. I will give that a try.

It should be 2” appx above the level range on the frame. Then when you brake the nose dip will level the pressure out.