Fact or Fiction? Suspending Jerkbaits have the black dots on them.

I am trying to find out, which of my Jerkbaits are suspending Jerkbaits. I seem to recall someone telling me or I read somewhere that the Suspending Jerkbaits have the infamous "Black Dot" on the lure, either on the backend, or up front towards the head or on the belly. Is this a true statement or a false statement?

2. Member
    Also, I wanted to tune the suspending Jerkbaits so they actually suspend perfectly, or real close to it. Saw a video where they use the Storm SuspenStrips/SuspenDots to do so but being in New Hampshire, evidentally they won't ship them to me as they are not leadfree, and NH is now Leadfree. Are there any new products out there that work the same way?

Do you have a golf pro shop nearby, if so go in and ask for golfers tape, it's a roll of peel and stick lead tape, works better than the suspend dots.

4. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    As a golfer you can walk into any golf pro shop, or Dicks even and get golf weights. They’re very pliable and easy to work with. A lot of people use lead core solder as well. Wrap it around the shanks of each hook to make it sit how you want it in the water.

As far as the dots, that may be brand specific. None of my suspending baits have a dot.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

5. Member
    Years ago the black dots was a Smithwick thing. I'm not sure if it's still true or not though.

6. Member
    Being in NH, we are a leadfree state now so legally cannot use anything lead.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NHbassfisherman View Post
    Being in NH, we are a leadfree state now so legally cannot use anything lead.
    Tape isn't a jig or a sinker.

Not familiar with the laws in your state, but if you do want to avoid lead try wrapping lead-free solder around the shank of a hook or two. This would realistically only work if the bait is close to suspending already, as you wouldn't want to add so much as to mess with hookups.

There's tungsten putty available out there that fly anglers mold around their line to add weight to their setups. It was developed when lead started being outlawed leaving few options for adding weight ahead of a fly (tin shot being about it). I doubt it would work well in this application, but may be something you could try around a hook shank similar to the above.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360