Thread: Water Intrusion

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    The transom being composite doesn't mean a thing if it's waterlogged. Composite will still water-log, warp, degrade and delaminate. Unless the holes are wallowed out and the bolts are really, really loose I can't see how you have water coming from the jack plate. The bottom holes are a good 9-12 inches above the bottom of the hull... You'd think your bilge pump would run all day if that's the case... FYI... Everyone should pull their engine/ jack plate at least every 5 years and reseal the bolt holes just as routine maintenance... Dan

I know what my eyes saw
    when I went to turn on the batteries I saw water coming down. So I just followed it up. Only one hole is not leaking.
    I will launch the boat and video it and email to the dealership. It’s all the same for me
    it’s just SUPER frustrating, driving to the dealership but first taking everything out of my boat. Normally it will be on a day I could be fishing and the weather is great.

2. Member
    Thanks again to all. I learn something every time I post an issue.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinJax View Post
    I know what my eyes saw
    when I went to turn on the batteries I saw water coming down. So I just followed it up. Only one hole is not leaking.
    I will launch the boat and video it and email to the dealership. It’s all the same for me
    it’s just SUPER frustrating, driving to the dealership but first taking everything out of my boat. Normally it will be on a day I could be fishing and the weather is great.
    Does your bilge pump run all day??? When you pull the drain plug does a lot of water drain from the bilge???... Dan

4. Member
    No bilge pump doesn’t run all day.
    There have been instances where it’s unexpectantly come on
    I thought it was my drain plug so I installed a new one and sealed it.
    There is always water in the bilge so that had me wondering how it was getting in

5. Banned
    Strange indeed... Keep us posted... Dan

Strange indeed... Keep us posted... Dan
    Yes please do, very interested in what the problem might be, and hoping for the best!

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

7. Member
    I wouldn't be to sure that your dealer installed the plate most boats come rigged from the factory,
    my o6 came rigged, my 17 came rigged ,my 04 I had to install the plate myself
    All tritons.

8. Banned
    Any updates???... Dan

I wouldn't use 5200 unless I never planned to take it off .. 4200 yea ..

Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Correct me if I’m wrong but shouldn’t there be a bead of 5200 on the jp on the outside of the bolt holes? Water should never get to the bolt holes unless I’ve installed my stuff the wrong way all these years. I’ve only done a handful but I’ve always put a bead around the edge, kinda like a sink, then smoothed out the excess that squishes out when I tighten the jp bolts.

OP, I wouldn’t be too worried yet. Unless there is delamination your transom should have minimal intrusion and should be able to be dried out and have the jp & engine reinstalled correctly and she will live on for many years.

Personally I would call Triton myself and have a rep look at the boat AS it’s being taken apart if you’re not going to do it yourself.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgeod View Post
    I wouldn't use 5200 unless I never planned to take it off .. 4200 yea ..

Was at a dealership a few months ago and watched them trying to take a jackplate off after the engine had been removed. They picked up the entire back of the boat by the jackplate. As they were cussing it they said somebody mustve used 5200 instead of 4200. They wound up having to chisel it off, craziest thing ive seen
    They aint got hands, set the hook

11. Member
    Any updates???... Dan
    Not just yet.
    I posted right before I left the country for work. I did call the dealership and awaiting a call back.
    I’ll personally drop it off and pick it up when I get back.

12. Member
    If you have any type temp mount, transducer mount on the back take the screws out and see if any moisture comes out, you use a moisture meter to detect water in the transom. Triton Boats have always been fiberglass, and composite.

13. Member
    UPDATE:

dealership says It comes from “wear” and rubbing
    they have to remove the jack plate , fill and epoxy the transom.
    Mark and drill out holes and than reseat the transom. This is my latest update

14. Member
    Almost certainly who ever installed the jackplate originally either used inferior caulk or not enough or non at all. Tell them you want that transom dry and at full strength, no bandaids. A hopefully you know that if you ever check your transom bolts for tightness, you never spin the bolt in the hole, you hold the bolt steady and only turn the nut. Not easy to do by yourself. If you spin the bolt, you tear the sealant and you get leaks and a possible soft transom.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuelleak View Post
    Almost certainly who ever installed the jackplate originally either used inferior caulk or not enough or non at all. Tell them you want that transom dry and at full strength, no bandaids. A hopefully you know that if you ever check your transom bolts for tightness, you never spin the bolt in the hole, you hold the bolt steady and only turn the nut. Not easy to do by yourself. If you spin the bolt, you tear the sealant and you get leaks and a possible soft transom.
    Thanks!
    Of all the people I know who have boats none of them ever had this issue. As bad a I want to take it out I simply never had peace of mind about it and although I know I have the skill to have made the repairs I don’t have an engine stand to take the motor off.
    Thanks all for your input.

16. Member
    Guy’s i could use some help

dealership fixed the leak leak as far as I can tell. I picked up my boat yesterday after a two month wait. During the time that they had my boat, they informed me of a bearing leak. It was repaired as well. NOW the boat won’t get on plane.
    It IS NOT how it left and the dealership owner says he’ll come get it (1.5hour drive) but if something unrelated is wrong it’s on me.
    I’m don’t see what is unrelated when it went there i didn’t have any issues other than the water intrusion.

For that they said the mounting holes had wallered out. I’m super frustrated any suggestions

17. Member
    After almost $800 it would seem like I would not have this problem
    I’m half inclined to just figure it out myself. It seems like the mounted the jackplate at a different height
    when I attempt to get on plane it just hangs there For a while

18. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    do you know what your prop to pad was before you had the repair done? If so set it back to that and see what happens, would be my suggestion also did they cover the cost of the repair? Never heard of a jackplate or motor mounted to the transom coming loose from wear and tear .
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

19. Member
    Did they fix the whollered out holes with fiberglass or epoxy or just pump them full of sealer? Three things you could check are the prop to pad and you fuel system and also your throttle to make sure your getting wot

20. Member
    I’m not sure what I did with my prop pad measurements
    mice been looking for them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast