Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

PT TRO4 X-19 175 SHO

That last couple of weeks I’ve been talking to Jared at Power Tech about the situation we all have experienced with the OFX props that Xpress shipped on our boats. They will tell you that is the wrong prop to use on any bass boat. I asked and they replied that they have no say so in what Xpress puts on. Jared told me they are trying to work with them and will be demonstrating props on their boats this coming year. They are aware of the reputation it’s giving them. I asked about the TRO4 prop and he asked me to hold off because they were testing props on an X-19 with a 175 SHO and he would report back which he did. PT exchanges my OFX for the TRO4 22” prop free of charge. I told him I was running a 23” Tempest + and he said that was a good prop for the X-19 with 175 SHO. I can report here that the TRO4 22” really surprised me. Nothing has lifted my boat up like this prop. Definitely running on the pad like it should and handles like a dream. Running at 6000 rpm at 60 mph gps. About 1.5 mph slower than the Tempest but the handling was so much better. Never lost bite even in hard turns. Definitely can recommend giving this prop a try. Jared is a good guy to work with and was willing to help in anyway possible.
    2018 Express X19 Yamaha 175 VMAX SHO

2. Member
    My dealer says he has not heard any complaints and couldn’t understand why I would want to trade my factory installed SS prop in for something different. I think Xpress owners who want and understand performance just bypass the dealer and order what they want from aftermarket, so some dealers may just be ignorant. Those who work on props know very well that the factory prop is made for bay boats or party barges and under performes. I’m getting 62@ 6000 rpm with my Fxp turbo that’s been worked on but have some issues in the turns so I’m still in the market for something better. Adding hydraulic jack plate early next year as well. Meanwhile thanks and keep us posted on any updates.
    2019 x19 175 SHO 12” Bobs jack plate

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessxpress View Post
    My dealer says he has not heard any complaints and couldn’t understand why I would want to trade my factory installed SS prop in for something different. I think Xpress owners who want and understand performance just bypass the dealer and order what they want from aftermarket, so some dealers may just be ignorant. Those who work on props know very well that the factory prop is made for bay boats or party barges and under performes. I’m getting 62@ 6000 rpm with my Fxp turbo that’s been worked on but have some issues in the turns so I’m still in the market for something better. Adding hydraulic jack plate early next year as well. Meanwhile thanks and keep us posted on any updates.
    If your getting a true 62gps than you are doing really good for that prop. Otherwise switch to a trophy style 4 blade like the op. Marks xl 4's work great also. I can't remember what Tbob runs but obviously they work also! I have a couple different 3 blades that have better top end but none b perform like the 4 blades on this hull. I'll give up 8 or so on top for everywhere else. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

4. Member
    I to get 62gps on a consistent basis with the fxp prop. On occasion it will hit 63.5gps but it starts to chine walk bad and I guess I am not good enough to control it.
    2015 Xpress X19/ Yamaha VMAX 175 SHO

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wishiwasfishin2 View Post
    I to get 62gps on a consistent basis with the fxp prop. On occasion it will hit 63.5gps but it starts to chine walk bad and I guess I am not good enough to control it.
    What is your prop to pad at level trim. Proper set up is also important with chine walk. The higher you can run the engine without loosing bite and water pressure the less chine walk you will have. Cj

6. Member
    I think I am 3.25" ptp on a 6" plate.

7. Member
    Yesterday, full tank, 45 gallons of fuel, no passenger and 61.7 gps with a ripple on the lake when it started walking too much for me. With it trimmed down it turns ok with no slip or blow out but at half trim it bumps ( feels like engine is misfiring). I may consider a 4 blade but don’t want to loose 8 mph. A hydraulic jack plate would raise engine straight up as opposed to trimming and changing thrust angle. Do y’all think that would help some in the turns? I’m at 4.25 ptp with a 10” manual jack plate. Any higher and it slips too much for me.
    CJS do you know your ptp height and if you’re running 60 at 6000 the 22 pitch TRO4 may be the prop I’m looking for.
    Last edited by Jessxpress; 11-25-2018 at 05:24 PM. Reason: finish sentence
    2019 x19 175 SHO 12” Bobs jack plate

8. Member
    Jessxpress I’m at 3” PTP and have a 6” manual jack plate. I only lost 1.5 mph running the TRO4 but the lift and handling are worth the trade off. Much easier to steer and zero chine walk @ 60 mph. Definitely call Jared at PT and talk to him.

9. Member
    I also have recently traded my ofx for TRO22 and i am very pleased with the results. Im bumping 62mph gps with average load, half tank of fuel and me alone. I didn't feel like I really pushed it to its limit also. Im running about 4.5" ptp with 20 psi water pressure 10in backplate. When i had the 3 blade ofx on there i jacked my motor up to 3.5 and the ofx lifted the boat so high out of the water that i lost all water pressure so i let it back down to 4.5". Ive noticed that the 175's do not have the nose cone water pickup like the 200+ hp sho's. I'm really wanting to go back to 3.5" ptp is anyone having issues running that height with the tro props?

2018 x19 175sho 10in jackplake
    Last edited by X19Blu; 11-25-2018 at 11:18 PM.

10. Member
    I’m running 3” PTP on a 6” jack plate running 20 psi on water pressure.

11. Member
    You wont loose 8mph, maybe 2 or so. In my case my boat is heavy and I load it very heavy in Canada 3 guys and all the gear, propane, 5, 6 gallon cans of fuel, coolers, generator ect. Way overloaded and I still have to have a prop to get on plane. I have a hydraulic plate 10" setback and a croxton 24xl prop. I can hit 70 with a medium fuel load and I am at 1-1/2" PTP. With my stock OX66 lower, before HT's rec heads and a 27 trophy I was 71mph or so before loosing water pressure and trim at 3" PTP and the boat was a handful. So with the new set up and the HPDI lower I should be able to turn any of my high pitch props to mid to upper 70's IF I can drive it! CJ

12. Member
    Sounds like I need a 10” jack plate.

I'm running a TR04 on my X19 and it is great.
    Last edited by BassinTN; 06-25-2019 at 03:20 AM.
    2005 Xpress X19 Tournament Series Dual Console
    Yamaha VMAX HPDI 175

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GJS View Post
    Sounds like I need a 10” jack plate.
    From experience the 10 seems to work the best. You guys that are in the 60's with 175's are doing good. I had a 150 on my boat and with 2 guys 54-55 was it. I know my hull is heavy and not a fast one so I am happy with what I have as of now. Cj

15. Member
    I think low to maybe mid 60's are all we are going to get out of these 175's. Keeping them under control at those speeds may be the problem we are all having.

Quote Originally Posted by wishiwasfishin2 View Post
    I think low to maybe mid 60's are all we are going to get out of these 175's. Keeping them under control at those speeds may be the problem we are all having.
    Honestly mine is very stable. Not a wild ride at all. Maybe it's the 4 blade prop. The only thing limiting me is RPMs. I want this motor to last a long time so I try to keep my RPMs around 5500.
    Last edited by BassinTN; 06-25-2019 at 03:24 AM.
    2005 Xpress X19 Tournament Series Dual Console
    Yamaha VMAX HPDI 175

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinTN View Post
    Honestly mine is very stable at 64. Not a wild ride at all. Maybe it's the 4 blade prop. The only thing limiting me is RPMs. I want this motor to last a long time so I try to keep my RPMs around 5500. On that 64.7 MPH run I did get up to 5900 if I remember correctly.
    A HPDI will live longer at close to the limiter than it will if you are running to the low end of 5k lugging it at WOT. Just a FYI. If you got to 5900 at that speed sounds like you have it propped about perfect. CJ

18. Member
    I talked to Jared, and he was very helpful. I have a Mercury 150 ProXS and it will only turn 5300 rpm's and when it was warmer it would get up to 55-56 mph.

Jared recommended a TRO4, but didn't offer to swap it out for me as others have indicated. I alerted my dealer to the problem early on, as when I first got it, it would only turn about 4900-5000 rpm's. He wanted me to wait until it had 20 hours to try a different prop. I left him a message a couple of weeks ago letting him know that I thought I had reached 20 hours and was ready to swap it out, but he hasn't called back.

I will turn the pressure up on him, but should I have asked Jared to swap it? He gave me the recommendation, and immediately went in to cost and their exchange policies if I bought one, so I got the impression he wanted the dealer to be responsible for the swap. My opinion is the dealer is the one who should do it, but I have had to twist their arm to get anything done since before it arrived. Any thoughts?
    2018 X19 Pro
    2018 Mercury 150 ProXS
    10" Hydraulic Atlas
    Helix 9 SI
    Helix 7
    Minn Kota 80# Fortrex

19. Member
    They want you to go through the dealer if possible. My dealer didn’t seem real interested in doing that although he did one for me before. I shipped mine back myself and covered shipping and insurance. Totally worth it for me. Good luck! If your dealer won’t cooperate call Jared back and let him know. They will probably do like my case and send you the information to ship.

20. Member
    Thanks GJS!!
    2018 X19 Pro
    2018 Mercury 150 ProXS
    10" Hydraulic Atlas
    Helix 9 SI
    Helix 7
    Minn Kota 80# Fortrex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast