Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    They used to use trot lines and sein nets in saltwater in the 80’s. I have no idea about freshwater but they were outlawed for commercial purposes a long time ago because of the death of the bycatch.

When I was a kid we had to empty the shrimp boat nets every 15 minutes because they were full...so many shrimp! I have no idea where they all went but the commercial fisherman “killed all the native grasses” so it was back to full time auto repair again.

You could take a light and shine behind the boat and the Cobia would follow the boat the entire night. Sadly, those times are long gone
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

They had seine nets in the lake as well, used them to catch Bluegills, Shellcrackers and Specs. The trot lines were for catfish. We used long narrow Gillis boats, they could haul the mail too, made out of wood....

Spanky

3. Banned
    You guys ever Jug Fish. Went to my uncles in Kentucky. We went out on Lake Cumberland. Got to a bay and set out milk jugs with chicken skin on the hooks. Sat at the entrance and watched them float around while drinking local beverages. You would see one bobbing and go over and pull it up. Caught some beautiful Catfish that day. Had a big fish fry with his buddies. Still laugh about that day. Something a Northern guy had never thought of.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walleyeguy456 View Post
    You guys ever Jug Fish. Went to my uncles in Kentucky. We went out on Lake Cumberland. Got to a bay and set out milk jugs with chicken skin on the hooks. Sat at the entrance and watched them float around while drinking local beverages. You would see one bobbing and go over and pull it up. Caught some beautiful Catfish that day. Had a big fish fry with his buddies. Still laugh about that day. Something a Northern guy had never thought of.
    Haha, A taxidermist that I went to was from kentucky and he told me a story about "Jugg'un". Said he used to do it with shiners. Was one of the funniest stories I had heard and forgot all about it until I read your post.

5. Banned
    I remember him saying the did it with shiners for Stripers but I think that was not legal. Them Old Boys had some good tricks down there.

6. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Never heard of ‘juggin but my neighbor is from Kentucky and it sounds about right!

Im 42, grew up in Lutz and we used to be able to use bluegill for bait but I was never a live bait guy. I do remember using eels that we could buy at the local marina and I see them every once in a while on some lakes but mudpuppies are almost gone around me.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Never heard of ‘juggin but my neighbor is from Kentucky and it sounds about right!

Im 42, grew up in Lutz and we used to be able to use bluegill for bait but I was never a live bait guy. I do remember using eels that we could buy at the local marina and I see them every once in a while on some lakes but mudpuppies are almost gone around me.
    We see the eels all of the time on Harris Chain. First time I saw one it freaked us out!

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

8. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I’ve seen a couple on Tsala-Apopka lately. I hear that weird sucking wind sound and keep looking for what’s making it until I see that little ugly eel with tiny t-rex front arms. Truly strange creature.

Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    I’ve seen a couple on Tsala-Apopka lately. I hear that weird sucking wind sound and keep looking for what’s making it until I see that little ugly eel with tiny t-rex front arms. Truly strange creature.
    Yes, those would be "Mud Puppies" sometimes referred to as Sirens, they are actually members of the Salamander family, They make excellent bait during the spawn

Spanky

Quote Originally Posted by Walleyeguy456 View Post
    You guys ever Jug Fish.
    They do a lot of that on Lake Eufaula in Alabama. Problem is they want to set them out in high traffic areas.
    Sick, tired, hungry, broke, busted, disgusted, can't be trusted, been imposed on and won't fight

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    All I’ve seen of Lake Eufaula is going across 84 from Tifton on my way to my hunting lease just north of Eufaula. I see those huge cliffs and wonder how in the world I would find fish in that lake? I’ve seen it look absolutely gorgeous in the mornings but when the weather is bad it looks like it can get rough.

12. Banned

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123