Question Trailer lights question

When I plug the trailer my 2016 Puma sits on up to my 2018 F-150, the Ford dash tells me the right trailer blinker is not functioning. Mine has the 3 function lights (running, brake and blinker), the other 2 functions work correctly. I replaced the light unit, but still doesn't work. If it were a fuse in the truck, I assume neither the left or right would work, and the left works correctly. Does anyone know what the color of the wire in the trailer that would cause this issue, or any other thing I can try?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    The two brake/turn lights each have their own fuse in the truck.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    My owners manual only lists one single 30A for the turn lights and it's not burned.
    Anyone have a trailer wiring diagram?

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    My owners manual only lists one single 30A for the turn lights and it's not burned.
    Anyone have a trailer wiring diagram?
    30A would be ridiculous for the trailer lights. You may have a module that controls them rather than a fuse.

Brake and blinker are the same thing as far as the trailer is concerned. Same bulb, same wire, same pin on the connector. If one works and the other doesn’t you have a truck problem.
    Last edited by CatFan; 11-23-2018 at 02:40 PM.
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    After further review, the right side running lights work, but not the right brake or the turn, so I guess I have a trailer wiring problem, correct?

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    After further review, the right side running lights work, but not the right brake or the turn, so I guess I have a trailer wiring problem, correct?
    Possibly, but it’s more common to be a truck issue. Fastest way to narrow it down is to try another trailer on your truck or your trailer on another truck.
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    Good idea. I will hook my sons F-250 up to the trailer and see what happens.
    Are you CatFan for all sports or specific ones?
    I am a Georgia Bulldog in football, but have always loved UK basketball. I love the tradition. I hope Coach Cal doesn't get the program into trouble. He has been known to do that.

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Good idea. I will hook my sons F-250 up to the trailer and see what happens.
    Are you CatFan for all sports or specific ones?
    I am a Georgia Bulldog in football, but have always loved UK basketball. I love the tradition. I hope Coach Cal doesn't get the program into trouble. He has been known to do that.
    Pretty well all sports. My grandpa was a big fan.
    nothing else matters.​

I think the BCM provides circuit protection for the trailer lights on your truck in the same way it protects the Truck, if so if a open or shorted ckt occurred you may have to have codes cleared to make the ckt operational, Sucks that a burned out bulb will disable the circuit but it does on the truck for sure, I am not positive this is true about the trailer ckt. Most inexpensive scan tools will only PCM codes which wont help you.
    Check you owners Manuel for towing/trailer fuses first.
    Last edited by lpugh; 11-26-2018 at 10:14 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

10. Member
    Simple check on the trailer. Using another good battery, fix a set of small jumpers. Ground the battery to the white wire or the frame of the trailer in a good clean spot. Now, with the positive wire off the battery, touch the terminal corresponding to the green trailer wire. This is the right turn and right brake. The yellow is the lift turn and the left brake, the brown is the running lights and the blue will be the reverse solenoid. This will tell you if you have a trailer problem.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

11. Member
    I had a similar problem (with a nissan). Lights worked correctly with a different vehicle.

After a trip back to the dealer, it ended up being the blade (right side middle) on the truck was not making a connection to the 7 pin round connector from the boat.
    Try turning your right signal on and wiggling the 7 pin round (towards the left side) and see if the blinker signal comes on. I had to slightly bend the blade out on the female (truck) connector, and everything was fine.
    ><((((º>`·._ .·´¯><((((º>`·. _ .·´¯·. ><((((º>

12. Member
    They also sell what is called a truck/rv tester. It plugs in the back of truck and has LEDs that allow you to test each function. You have to turn on, for example, the right turn signal and then walk back and look if the Led light up on the plug. This could help you eliminate where the problem may be .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Way-RV-Bl...4528:rk:1:pf:0