Protection and Longetivity with Missing Clear

I'm in the process of restoring a boat that just got neglected the last few years. The top cap is white (good) with a black stripe with some glitter. The previous owner tried to wet sand it or maybe dry sand it by the looks of it. I've got a professional that has got it shining again the best he can, but he says about half the glitter is gone and most if not all the clear is gone on that black stripe which is about 4" wide going around the boat right on top. Increases to about 6" on the nose and 12" on the rear.

My question is what I can do to give that black stripe better odds of staying decent for a longer period of time without any painting or clear coating? I know limit the exposure to sun light to fishing days only. Wipe down after day on the water and I am guessing keep it waxed often. I realize this is an uphill battle without the clear, but just trying to stall the inevitable as long as I can.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Why not just shoot it with automotive clear coat?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Why not just shoot it with automotive clear coat?
    What is the longevity of the auto clear? I've heard everything from 1 year to 10 and have zero personal experience. If its only 1-2 years, then I think I might can accomplish that with a proactive approach to it as is. Then decide down the road if I want to pay the money to do it right. Also, what is the expected cost difference between auto clear and doing it right?

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Auto clear coat is a fairly simple process that you can do pretty easily with a gun and masking tape. Shooting new gel coat is more complicated, both in the technique and prep. Generally you have to remove anything like cleats and lights you don’t want gel on. Clear coat is just painting. Here’s a link to a description of the process for shooting new gel http://bertram31.com/proj/tips/re-gelcoating.htm

Both methods will last a long time if you keep the boat out of the sun.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Any way you could post a couple pics to see what it looks like so we can give some good options.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Any way you could post a couple pics to see what it looks like so we can give some good options.
    Yea. Let me get back to town in couple of days.

7. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    you could probably clean it up real good and then use a couple of coats of Pro-tec sealant and after a few months another couple coats if still looking good and keep it covered until using it and out of the sun as much as possible.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

Couple low cost, easy to install alternatives to paint:
    - Cover the original black stripe with a vinyl stripe. Tons of colors to choose from, fairly easy DIY install, and easy to replace. Add matching or contrasting pinstripes if desired.
    - Mask off and paint the stripe area with Plasti-Dip. Easy to remove, and easy to touch-up. Could border the stripe with contrasting pinstripe tape.

9. Member
    Automotive clear will work. I used imron on Ranger 350. Just make sure you mix correct amount of hardener. Too little and it will take longer to dry and run between applying coats. Too much hardener and it will not have ability to flex flex when hitting waves and cause cracks. Hardest part with imron is making sure that the Prep is good.

10. Member
    Automotive clear will work for a short period. It does not hold up at all. Not meant to be laid over gel coat. It is a royal PITA to remove once it starts peeling and it WILL peel.

11. Member
    Here’s a couple of pics
    On the nose, you can all glitter is gone. In other pic, you can see the scratches. Guy said he can get rid of scratches but he’d be down to base black and then some.
    He told me for $1000, he can do that top stripe all over from the beginning. I might consider that down the road, but would like to try and hold the current condition as long as possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I have to believe that any competent body shop can shoot a coat of clear coat on that top cap and give you a protected surface to keep what glitter is left from degrading any further.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Do not shoot clear over the white. I would see what a good glass/gel shop would charge to fix the black correctly. Then, last resort shoot the black and pins with an automotive product of the shops choice....I just did this with a white gel and burgandy flake 389 Javelin.
    www.ncboatguy.com

14. Member
    A guy told me $1000 to fix the black right and look new. I’m just not wanting to spend that much right now. That’s why I’m wanting to try and keep it decent for as long as possible.

If a grand will fix it correctly with flake and gel...I wouldn’t touch it until I did it correctly. If not you’re gonna have to get all the incorrect products off to fix it right later.
    www.ncboatguy.com

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    If a grand will fix it correctly with flake and gel...I wouldn’t touch it until I did it correctly. If not you’re gonna have to get all the incorrect products off to fix it right later.
    Agree 100%. I guess I’ll just keep it waxed. Not sure what else to do short term.

Nothin...
    www.ncboatguy.com