Thread: SHO advice

SHO advice

I have a 2017 250 SHO with about 30 hours on it. Is it ok to pull it outside and run it for a few minutes with a garden hose and muffs? These are muffs I’ve had for about 20 years. I don’t know if they’ve changed the design of them or not is why I mention that.

2. Member
    I think the 200 hp and up SHO motors have a water intake at the top front of the nose cone. Standard muffs would not cover the intake holes.

If your muffs are 20 years old the rubber will be hard and stiff making a good seal unlikely.

3. Member
    The rubber is still ok and the intake is at the cone. Maybe I can fill some sort of water tank to start it. I just want to run it for a minute for an interested buyer. Thanks.

4. Member
    Use a tank if you don't have the low water pick up bib. If the water level is not deep enough to cover the pump impeller then hook it up to the flusher to wet or prime the pump before you start it. I run all my outboards like this. Don't just start yours, worst thing you can do as it leaves condensation in the cyl bores. Warm it up before shutting off. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

5. Member
    Will do. Thanks!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter Man View Post
    The rubber is still ok and the intake is at the cone. Maybe I can fill some sort of water tank to start it. I just want to run it for a minute for an interested buyer. Thanks.
    You have the solution with a deep enough tank.

7. Member
    Thanks!

8. Member
    Make sure water is above the cavitation plate if you run it in a tank! Otherwise you will smoke the water pump.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    Use a tank if you don't have the low water pick up bib. If the water level is not deep enough to cover the pump impeller then hook it up to the flusher to wet or prime the pump before you start it. I run all my outboards like this. Don't just start yours, worst thing you can do as it leaves condensation in the cyl bores. Warm it up before shutting off. Cj
    +1. This works well.
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

10. Member
    You can run it with a hose hooked up to the washdown port. Zero issues doing this if you keep it at idle. It will piss and everything.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250