Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Impact wrench for lug removal

Doany of you guys carry a cordless impact wrench for lug nut removal? It seems like flats are a constant issue where I live because of a lot of construction and nails, screws etc on the roads. I’m thinking an impact wrench would be helpful, especially when I rotate my tires.

for any of you who use one, what brand and model? I’ve seen a lot of good reviews on Milwaukee but not sure whether to go 1/4”, 3/8 or 1/2 and also 12 or 18v.

Thanks

2. Member
    For me personally I wouldn’t dedicate an expensive tool like that to always ride in my truck but I may not have as many flats as you have. I do occasionally use my dewalt xr 1/4” for lug nuts and it works just fine. It does 1875 in-lb which is far more than the typical 90-100 ft-lb that most lugs are torqued to but keep in mind that 100 on may require more than 100 to remove so the 1/4” models may not have enough every time. The Milwaukee m18 fuel has the highest torque 1/4” model at 2400 in-lb but you will find that you will break A LOT of 1/4” shanks. For dedicated lug nut work you want to go ahead and get a 1/2” model and a nice deep well impact socket. The larger models would be a sure bet I just wouldn’t install them with an impact unless it has dependable adjustable torque or you have excellent trigger control. The models with hundreds of ft-lb of torque will break a wheel stud off. I rotate my truck tires and they are usually at 120 ft-lbs and I always use my 1/2” air impact but put them back by hand and torque wrench.

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply. Although it will live in the truck it will never be out of reach if I need it for another project.
    I'm thinking the Milwaukee mid torque 3/8 may be plenty for my needs on the trailer and truck lugs but I'd love to hear from someone who’s tried it. A bit less expensive and easier to fit in tight places if needed for other jobs.

I agree with you, I wouldn’t use it for installing lug nuts. I use my torque wrench for that.
    Thanks

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    If you do the routine maintenance on your trailer as you should, a simple breaker bar should be plenty to remove the lug nuts. Keeping an impact in the truck is a waste of money unless you have health or age issues that require it. Even then, a torque multiplier works as well or even better and doesn’t require charging.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    I have the Milwaukee mid torque and it's never not busted one loose for me. It's actually never not busted anything loose that I've asked of it.

I use this...

Milwaukee 2767-20 M18 Fuel High... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077H7JP1D?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

Just because I keep an expensive tool in my pickup tool box does not mean I can only use it on my boat. I keep several things in my truck that I may use any time any place. No matter where I'm at it's not far to my truck. Would rather have it and not need as to need and not have.

8. Member
    I use an impact in the garage but no sense in carrying a tool like that for an emergency use. A good quality long breaker bar will get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I use an impact in the garage but no sense in carrying a tool like that for an emergency use. A good quality long breaker bar will get the job done.
    Some of us do more work in the field than in a garage, so carrying a "tool like that" makes a lot of sense !

10. Member
    I have a 1/2" Dewalt 18v converted to 20v that i take with me on long trips. The convience of being able to do a quick change on the side of the road is well worth it.
    2004 Ranger 521VX with 2019 Evinrude G2 250 H.O.

Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    I use this...

Milwaukee 2767-20 M18 Fuel High... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077H7JP1D?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
    This is the exact on I have and it's a beast. I use it for more than just lug nuts and it sure is handy!

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

12. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I would think the 3/8 model of that Milwaukee would be about perfect and very useful for a lot of things whether you keep it in your truck or not. If it doesn’t remove a lug nut it’s way too tight and will likely snap a stud. Personally I keep a breaker bar with a lug nut socket on it in the back of my truck but I wouldn’t hesitate putting a nice Milwaukee back there instead!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

13. Member
    I carry a 20v Dewalt 1/2” drive. Keep it in the truck, but use it wherever. Only takes a flat or two make a believer out of you.

In 40 years I have had 1 flat tire. Just lucky I guess. I check the psi every time before pulling.

15. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    I really need to get me a quality breaker bar and put in my tool box of my truck. With a deep socket might I add....thanks for the reminder guys....

16. Member
    Bought a 1/2 " ridgid impact good price plenty of power at home Depot
    2005 COUGAR FTD 225 OPTI

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CATMAN 225 View Post
    Bought a 1/2 " ridgid impact good price plenty of power at home Depot
    Bought the same impact gun. Just ran a trip to NC and had a tire almost fail on me. I pulled over pulled my jack out and used the impact for the first time. Make quick work and was back rolling quicker than if I had my breaker bar only!
    Worth every penny I spent!
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

18. Banned
    I carry a Kobalt impact in my tool box. Lithium batteries. Charge them once a year.

19. Member
    I have the Milwaukee M12 Fuel stubby with a 1/2" chuck. Though its rated for 250 lbs. of torque in both directions, in auto mode I don't believe it would ever break a stud. It has 4 modes for the amount of torque output.

A cordless impact is also really good on scissor jacks, bottle jacks that turn to move up/down rather than a pump, and raising the roof of your popup trailer should you have one those.

I have a tool travel bag that rides in the boat with me rather than leaving my expensive tools in the parking lot. I'll use this over a break over bar any day.

20. Member
    I have a weird Campbell hausfeld emergency impact and sockets that works in the cigarette lighter outlet. It spools up and takes off the lug nuts, I was surprised but it works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast