fuel info not reading correct on vessel view link

I have a 300R (1E080626) and have the vessel view link hooked up to my lowrance. I have the fuel tank sensor hooked up as well. The amount of fuel in the tank does not read correct and also the fuel used does not read correct. Last time I filled up it was off by around 15 gallons. When you set up the engine on the link it does not have an option for the 300R, it only has 300 v8 4 stroke as an option. Could that be the problem or could it be a faulty tank sensor?

thanks for the help,
    Vince

2. Member
    My ProXS 4S will only read fuel usage and remaining fuel on my Lowrance Carbons with the VV Link if I start my motor prior to turning the graphs on. Once I turn the engine off to fish it will no longer read fuel usage unless I turn my graphs off before restarting, in which case it picks up where it left off the last time it was reading. Fuel that was burned when it’s not reading is not deducted from remaining fuel. I spoke to Adam at Mercury CS and they were able to duplicate the issue with a Simrad unit. I was told that the issue is with the Vessel View and until they get an update that addresses the problem there was nothing that could be done to fix it. Hope this helps. If not call Mercury and ask for Adam.
    Last edited by FD209; 11-21-2018 at 08:50 PM.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FD209 View Post
    My ProXS 4S will only read fuel usage and remaining fuel on my Lowrance Carbons with the VV Link if I start my motor prior to turning the graphs on. Once I turn the engine off to fish it will no longer read fuel usage unless I turn my graphs off before restarting, in which case it picks up where it left off the last time it was reading. Fuel that was burned when it’s not reading is not deducted from remaining fuel. I spoke to Adam at Mercury CS and they were able to duplicate the issue with a Simrad unit. I was told that the issue is with the Vessel View and until they get an update that addresses the problem there was nothing that could be done to fix it. Hope this helps. If not call Mercury and ask for Adam.
    i wonder if there is also something else wrong with mine. Mine is telling me I’m burning more fuel than I actually am. I guess I’ll have to call mercury. It’s getting really annoying not knowing how much fuel I have.

4. Member
    I understand your frustration. My analog fuel gauge is so inaccurate that it is almost useless. I was really hoping to be able to use the remaining fuel feature on my VVLink. Hopefully they can get an update that fixes it soon.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Keep in mind that Fuel USED and Fuel LEVEL are two completely different features.

Traditionally, Fuel USED is manually reset at each fillup. Data used to compute the amount of fuel used is then based on the PCM fuel delivery data (which is normally accurate to within 2% margin).

This assumes a SINGLE engine installation, of course.

300V8 setup is fine as the protocols are identical to those in the 300R. No problem there.

Fuel tank volume would normally need to be set up... and if the Default Calibration method is used, the level will be ONLY as accurate as the sending unit. If you want extremely accurate gallon measurements of fuel remaining, the manual calibration method may POSSIBLY be a good choice (normally something to avoid unless necessary).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Keep in mind that Fuel USED and Fuel LEVEL are two completely different features.

Traditionally, Fuel USED is manually reset at each fillup. Data used to compute the amount of fuel used is then based on the PCM fuel delivery data (which is normally accurate to within 2% margin).

This assumes a SINGLE engine installation, of course.

300V8 setup is fine as the protocols are identical to those in the 300R. No problem there.

Fuel tank volume would normally need to be set up... and if the Default Calibration method is used, the level will be ONLY as accurate as the sending unit. If you want extremely accurate gallon measurements of fuel remaining, the manual calibration method may POSSIBLY be a good choice (normally something to avoid unless necessary).
    yes Don I knew they were 2 different features. They just are not working. My boat was the first boat my builder set up with the vessel view link. They usually use a vessel view gauge. But shouldn’t they be the same?

i changed the setting to 300v8 so when I fill up I’ll see if that’s accurate now. But the fuel Level I know for sure is not correct because it’s changing up and down. The builder says they used the same sending unit they normally do. Do you think maybe the sending unit is faulty?

thanks for any info

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Faulty sending unit is certainly a possibility.

Also possible that the VV Link needs to be updated to the latest version (normally done by the dealer).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    It sounds like you need the Fuel Data Manager that hooks into your NMEA2000 backbone.

Here is some info on it.

https://www.boemarine.com/navico-fuel-data-manager.html

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=849730

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    It sounds like you need the Fuel Data Manager that hooks into your NMEA2000 backbone.

Here is some info on it.

https://www.boemarine.com/navico-fuel-data-manager.html

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=849730
    That should not be necessary (or really even of benefit) given that the data is there in the engine PCM, and available to Smartcraft.

OP'er needs to do some verifying.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    That should not be necessary (or really even of benefit) given that the data is there in the engine PCM, and available to Smartcraft.

OP'er needs to do some verifying.
    i checked the fuel burned when I refilled the boat twice this weekend. Both times the computer was correct. The fuel tank level is still wrong. Where would I start to try to figure out if my tank sensor is bad?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FD209 View Post
    Funny I just updatd my VVL and have a Simrad NSS EVO3 and the same thing happened. Hope they fix this soon!
    Also once updating the Vessel View Link. It resets the fuel used setting. Needed to put it back to engine consumed then reading came right back where it was on trip intel and on vessel view 5
    Last edited by flatsboy; 12-04-2018 at 08:41 AM.
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Interesting. Sounds like they'll have to do an update (if not, there "might" be a work-around... but let's not go there just yet).

13. Member
    The reading on my Smartcraft gauge is almost spot on really nice to be able to see what's going on.

Is this software issue what gives me this problem ?

I have changed my Mercury Gateway to the Mecury Vesselview Link on my boat. Now I can’t get the right data on my overlay data, “fuel remain”. No problem as a had the Gateway installed.

My setup is. Mercury 115 4S Pro XS, Lowrance HDS Live 12”. 1 main 95 L. fuel tank, with analog fuel gage. No Flow sensor in the system, I use the Engine burn rate. I have a Lowrance data fuel manager(Ep-85r) in my Nmea2000 Network.

When I run my system with the Gateway. I have told the Lowrance under “Fuel”, that I have 1 tank with 95 Liter fuel. Under data overlay on my display, I have chosen- “fuel remain”, data input from “Vessel”- “ Fuel remain”. This was working perfectly. Also, when refueling, by tap in on the Lowrance Display under “fuel”.

I have read in the manual for the Vesselview Link. That I have to choose in the Vesselview a “unmontitored” Fuel tank. Because I have no sensor Associated with it.
    When I do that, I get no data input from “Vessel” – “Fuel remain” as a “Data overlay”, only 3 - - -
    I see the Data Fuel Manager on the network, but not possible to make as “Data Input” for “Fuel Remain”

I only can get a “Fuel Remain” on the screen, when I make a “Tank Configuration” in the Vesselview Link as STBD 1 Fuel Tank. But this have to be from my analog Fuel sensor. See picture. And this is not what I want.
    I will have “Fuel Remaining” as an Overlay Data on my Screen. Fuel remain, taken from the main tank 95 L.(without use the analog sensor), calculated from the engine fuel burned, stored in the Data fuel manager (Ep-85r). Same as a had with my Gateway
    ��

Can it be a software error (bug) in the newest software to the Vesselview Link (VVL-18.2-60.1.146) ??

Hope you understand my problem, and can give me some input ��
    Regard
    Kim, Denmark

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wittenborn View Post
    Is this software issue what gives me this problem ?

I have changed my Mercury Gateway to the Mecury Vesselview Link on my boat. Now I can’t get the right data on my overlay data, “fuel remain”. No problem as a had the Gateway installed.

My setup is. Mercury 115 4S Pro XS, Lowrance HDS Live 12”. 1 main 95 L. fuel tank, with analog fuel gage. No Flow sensor in the system, I use the Engine burn rate. I have a Lowrance data fuel manager(Ep-85r) in my Nmea2000 Network.

When I run my system with the Gateway. I have told the Lowrance under “Fuel”, that I have 1 tank with 95 Liter fuel. Under data overlay on my display, I have chosen- “fuel remain”, data input from “Vessel”- “ Fuel remain”. This was working perfectly. Also, when refueling, by tap in on the Lowrance Display under “fuel”.

I have read in the manual for the Vesselview Link. That I have to choose in the Vesselview a “unmontitored” Fuel tank. Because I have no sensor Associated with it.
    When I do that, I get no data input from “Vessel” – “Fuel remain” as a “Data overlay”, only 3 - - -
    I see the Data Fuel Manager on the network, but not possible to make as “Data Input” for “Fuel Remain”

I only can get a “Fuel Remain” on the screen, when I make a “Tank Configuration” in the Vesselview Link as STBD 1 Fuel Tank. But this have to be from my analog Fuel sensor. See picture. And this is not what I want.
    I will have “Fuel Remaining” as an Overlay Data on my Screen. Fuel remain, taken from the main tank 95 L.(without use the analog sensor), calculated from the engine fuel burned, stored in the Data fuel manager (Ep-85r). Same as a had with my Gateway
    ��

Can it be a software error (bug) in the newest software to the Vesselview Link (VVL-18.2-60.1.146) ??

Hope you understand my problem, and can give me some input ��
    Regard
    Kim, Denmark
    Kim- that's a configuration problem. MUST have fuel harness and monitor tank sensor in order to utilize these features. Sender in tank and fuel harness is required.

Please take a moment to review the Forum Announcements- one engine/person/question per thread, so as to avoid Post Hi-Jacking. Feel free to open your own thread any time you need.

Hi

Just ask if this could be the software issue
    With Gateway no problem..

Regard, Kim