Buying a Rebuilt Etec

I'm looking for used motors over the winter and I found a rebuilt motor. It's a 2012 Etec 175 with 0 hours after rebuild and it seems like a good price. When I asked how many hours before it blew they were unable to tell me because the motor isn't at the shop yet.

What are your thoughts on buying rebuilt motors? and what should I look for when buying a rebuilt motor?

2. Banned
    Who rebuilt it and why did it blow are pretty important. Buying are built unit is fine, but you need to do your due diligence. Ask around locally and find out who the trusted mechanic(s) are, go from there.

3. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Dependent on who does the rebuild.....(reputation) ...what was rebuilt......and if they found the cause of the problem......so it dosen't happen when installed on your rig.

You being up in Canada don't help your situation. 1/2 of your warranty will be gone by the time you can even get it in the water.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Just like any warranty up here though you have to look at it as a fishing season and not a year because we can only fish in a boat for half the year. Thank you for the comments, I appreciate the help, I found out who is doing the rebuild and looking into their reputation and cause of the problem.

6. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    If I were in your situation I would either go to or speak to the person that is doing/has done the rebuild. He should have no problem speaking to you since you’re a potential future customer since he is the one rebuilding the motor and will know your unit inside out.

I’d want to know why it blew, was there any collateral damage and just as important; is there anything else on its way out? Are there any wear items that could be replaced during the rebuild to save a potential future issue? Warranty? Engine diagnostics?

I would also want to know his opinion about the motor. Was it in good shape for a motor of its age? We’re there any past repairs that weren’t done correctly? Did everything look right as he took it apart?

My family has an auto repair shop and while motor jobs pay great most of them are 100% avoidable if people just had a tiny amount of common sense. Then you repair the motor and they won’t/can’t afford a new radiator, fans, etc and they blow the new motor in a week. Common sense is not all that common!

I hope this purchase works out for you, Chris.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Thanks for the advice Chris. I appreciate it.

8. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Absolutely, you’re welcome. I don’t know much about outboards but my family has had an auto repair shop since before I was born so I may not know how to rebuild your or my Etec but I do know the questions to ask!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV