Okeechobee Water Level

Hi guys. I am starting to get excited as we will be to FLA for te season on Dec. 1st. My fishing ended a couple weeks ago up here now that the snow has arrived.
    I saw on okehp.pdf that the water is at 13.5ft, and that seems very shallow for this early in the year, isn't it? Or am I wrong? have the reeds come back much from last year?
    Thanks.
    CBM

2. Work hard fish harder SwampNinja's Avatar
    Have the reeds come back??? The lake is being pounded by spray boats Mon-Fri... No they are not coming back anytime soon.
    Stratos 294 evo Etec 200 HO
    HydrillaGear.com IguanaGraphics.com

3. Member
    Yes, 13.5 is low for this time of year. Dropping fairly quickly too. Some talk that intent of water managers is to draw down to 12'. Most of the big hard reed lines have disappeared. Lots of isolated heads and patches around. Anything resembling a mat is getting sprayed like Ninja said.

4. Member
    None of the grass/reed lines will come back until the lake gets below 12’ and under 10’ is exponentially better. 13.4 right now and being that low this early in dry season is AWESOME! Hopefully it keeps going and stays down and we get a drought.

5. Member
    Wow, I was afraid of that, regarding the reeds. Navigating might get tricky before the winter is out, maybe.
    Thanks guys.

13.2 this early will mean lots of props & gearcases will be claimed by the lake this winter

7. Member
    I'm planning a trip mid January but I have really limited experience on Okeechobee. I normally launch either in the Kissimmee river and fish up to around Eagle Bay and down to around Tin House or launch at Harney Pond and fish a little way north toward Indian Prarie and then to the Monkey Box. Are those going to be hazardous getting around at thirteen or a little lower?

Another question, coming out of Kissimmee river or Harney Pond canal should I run well out into the lake before moving around and shut down well offshore and idle in or are there rocks offshore also. I know about the rocks offshore from Roland's and have no plan to go near there.

8. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    We have rocks in Florida? I really need to fish Okeechobee...I was born in Tampa and have only seen the lake from Roland’s marina one time. I’m ashamed of myself for saying that.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    We have rocks in Florida? I really need to fish Okeechobee...I was born in Tampa and have only seen the lake from Roland’s marina one time. I’m ashamed of myself for saying that.
    That's what I've been told and my chart shows it so I'm taking their word for it.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Champriders View Post
    That's what I've been told and my chart shows it so I'm taking their word for it.
    Lots of rocks in the Clewiston area. Offshore as well rocky reef goes all the way to Pahokee. Lots of rock up by J-S as well.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

11. Member
    Let the lake get down to 9 feet and you will see more rocks on the Big O then you ever care to see. The entire east wall area is nothing but limestone beneath 8inches of muck.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JayLaw View Post
    Let the lake get down to 9 feet and you will see more rocks on the Big O then you ever care to see. The entire east wall area is nothing but limestone beneath 8inches of muck.
    One of my friends found out the hard way that it's easy to find a rock bottom when he tried to get on plane right up against the hardline between Tin House and Indian Prairie and peeled his prop. I'm just wondering what the chances are of hitting something a hundred yards or so outside the grass line on the west to north side of the lake.

13. Member
    Had a couple for buddies nail some rock when the water is low by Indian Prairie. That is one area on the west side I'm am always aware of when the water starts dropping.
    Brad Krone

14. Member
    Anyone know what the water temp is on Okeechobee?

15. Member
    It was 71 last Saturday at Indian Prairie.

16. Member
    Sunday 73 in river.little brisk out here this evening

17. Member
    Parts of eagle bay i read one and a half on plane and in parts of the pass

18. Member
    Thanks for the temperatures

71 in the morning and came up to 74 Monday by 11:30. Killing em on the Rat L Trap! They were hungry too. Forward treble hook all the way in to tongue

Quote Originally Posted by TX Struggles View Post
    Anyone know what the water temp is on Okeechobee?

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash