Yamaha SxS and others

Anybody have a new Yamaha Wolverine?

I'm lookin for a SxS, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, NO Polaris or any other Chiwanese models.
    New 2018 Cub Cadet looks interesting, appears kinda under powered and wonder about reliability.
    I know the MULE is a proven machine, but leaning towards something a bit more aggressive, in case I want to carry it to Colorado or somewhere else to trail ride.

2 seater,
    with a dump bed,
    quiet,
    floor won't cook my feet,
    wheelies optional

"ain't too smart.....but I'm always thinkin"

2. Member
    I have the 2016 wolverine that I bought last year new, and it is awesome. Test drove all the models and by far this one had the smoothest ride when it came to trails and when we tested them, trust me I ran the hell out of each and got the best results out of the Wolverine. The Honda was just out right a rough ride. The can am came in second and was decent but again not as smooth as the Wolverine. Also test drove a CFmoto and it was the worst. At the moment I have almost 500 miles on my Wolverine and have had zero issues and loved every minute of it.

jc
    It's the pick of the litter from what little it of studying I have done. I believe the newer models may even be equipped better.

What do you primarily use your Wolverine for?
    Do you find yourself changing the suspension much?

4. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Personally I’m a big fan of the Yamaha; just like my Grizzlys they make a great product.

I did watch a review of the new Bombardier line up and how they’re bring a new model each season for 10 seasons. They have some impressive offerings.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

5. Member
    that new X2 R-spec with the 850 sounds, and looks, pretty nice!

I've got a friend with a Yamaha Viking, one with an older RZR, and one with a Pioneer. I really like the shifting on the Pioneer. Both the Viking and Pioneer are billy goats, but I'd prefer the Wolverine over the Viking for the additional sportiness while maintaining a functional bed.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corkpuller View Post
    jc
    It's the pick of the litter from what little it of studying I have done. I believe the newer models may even be equipped better.

What do you primarily use your Wolverine for?
    Do you find yourself changing the suspension much?
    I use it for hunting and also trail riding. Since I bought it, I haven’t even touched the shocks because they were already awesome where they were set from the factory. I don’t really push it in the winter because I don’t have a windshield yet and it gets really cold at 45 mph. But in the summer, I run it pretty hard through the woods and the turrain on my lease is pretty harsh. It’s owned by a tree farm company so you have stumps everywhere along with a creek Big creek that cuts through it and is also has very big hills with decent inclines and it handles it all with no issues. But I will say I did get it high centered on a stump because I wasn’t paying attention and it got wedged between the back right swing arm and the fender well. But that’s the only time I’ve had it stuck and I’ve even crawled over some pretty big oak and pine trees making new trails. Oh and also it is a beast with 27” mud lights

Sounds good.
    Now, what about just toodling around mellow like, does it act alright. Idles good ?
    Surely don’t act like a 2 stroke where it runs best only if you got it “on the pipe”. ??

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corkpuller View Post
    Sounds good.
    Now, what about just toodling around mellow like, does it act alright. Idles good ?
    Surely don’t act like a 2 stroke where it runs best only if you got it “on the pipe”. ??
    It idles very well. As I said above, when it’s cold I just mellow around all the time and also when I’m hauling stuff as well to the feeders ect. By the way I put 9 50ibs bags of corn in the back and it handles it with no problem

9. Member
    I have a 2014 Viking with 3,000 miles on it and it has been flawless. I use it for hunting, yard work, and trail riding. It is a fantastic rig.
    2004 Ranger 521VX with 2019 Evinrude G2 250 H.O.

Quote Originally Posted by FTMS View Post
    I have a 2014 Viking with 3,000 miles on it and it has been flawless. I use it for hunting, yard work, and trail riding. It is a fantastic rig.
    thanks.

Man, there's a really clean 2015 Viking for sale close to me.
    I read good things about them other than they are loud and they get hot inside the cab. What I don't know is, loud and hot compared to what?
    I'm guessing those are legit complaints because Yamaha addressed those very problems with the next year models.

Where I live, it get's HOT, and HUMID, so I pretty much wrote that 2015 machine off my list. What's your opinion on the noise and the heat??

11. Member
    I have never heard of a heat problem with a Viking. I have no idea how it would get hot with the motor behind the cab. It is not like the Can Am that the motor sits beside you. Those dam things are hot. As fars as noise, i have a 2014 that did not come with the noise kit but i did add it to it afterwards. I did not notice much of a difference but i didn't think it was that bad to start with.

I have a Honda Pioneer 1000-3 and love it. I use it hunting and trail riding, my wife uses it around the yard. The engine braking is a good thing. Great all around machine imo.

Te new Yamaha Wolverine X4 is a very nice machine. The only reason I didn’t buy one is because it was a tight fit getting in the doors and I’m not a big guy. The motor is very quiet and has lots of power. I ended up buying a Kawasaki Teryx4 LE and I’ve been really impressed with it. Buddy has a Pioneer and he likes it real well. Bench seats are my in,y complaint with it. Uncle has a can am that he likes ok. He complains about how it rattles with only 600 easy miles on it. I rode it the other day and it sounded like it was going to come apart. Lots of good machines out there. Find a dealer that sells multiple brands and drive them all.

14. Member
    I have a Honda Pioneer 700-4, really happy with it.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    Te new Yamaha Wolverine X4 is a very nice machine. The only reason I didn’t buy one is because it was a tight fit getting in the doors and I’m not a big guy. The motor is very quiet and has lots of power. I ended up buying a Kawasaki Teryx4 LE and I’ve been really impressed with it. Buddy has a Pioneer and he likes it real well. Bench seats are my in,y complaint with it. Uncle has a can am that he likes ok. He complains about how it rattles with only 600 easy miles on it. I rode it the other day and it sounded like it was going to come apart. Lots of good machines out there. Find a dealer that sells multiple brands and drive them all.
    Finally got the chance to sit in a new Wolverine. You’re not kidding about the tight fit getting into the machine! I had to slide the seat back and raise the steering wheel to get in. Dang, I *really* wanted to like that one, too
    -David Daye

16. Member
    That is to bad about the Wolverine, i like the stats on it. I really like how easy it is to get in and out of my Viking. AT 6'6", 250lbs it makes a huge difference.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1781ccT View Post
    Finally got the chance to sit in a new Wolverine. You’re not kidding about the tight fit getting into the machine! I had to slide the seat back and raise the steering wheel to get in. Dang, I *really* wanted to like that one, too
    This is new. Ours is easy to get in but then again ours is a slightly older model. I was really thinking about that 800 twin engine

18. Member
    The salesperson said they’ve had a lot of similar comments, too.
    -David Daye

19. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    If you go with an older machine that has any type of hot spot, it’s pretty easy to put some Boom Mat or lizard skin on it and it will be quieter and much less rattle-y.

I don’t see why the Yamaha’s would have the heat problem the way they’re set up, the Polaris yes.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV