Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC

what is this shaft collar on an Ultrex on MDJ's motor?

I was watching videos and noticed this collar with a knob on it. If I'm not mistaken, and I'm sure most of us with an Ultrex have experienced this syndrome of the shaft slipping down during a day of stow and deploy, this is being used to avoid the shaft from moving down. It can be seen around the 58 second mark

https://video.bassmaster.com/detail/...LISH_DATE:DESC
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

2. Member
    It looks like this handle but not sure what the collar is that it is used on?

https://www.basscatstore.com/quicksl...djustment.aspx
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

3. Member
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

4. Member
    I see it replaces the existing knob on the collar that comes on the motor. However, I would like to add that quick slip device to a clam shell collar clamp and wrap it around the shaft above the factory one. Any ideas on a product I am referring to??
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    I see it replaces the existing knob on the collar that comes on the motor. However, I would like to add that quick slip device to a clam shell collar clamp and wrap it around the shaft above the factory one. Any ideas on a product I am referring to??
    I added two aluminum split collars on my motor. One at the top to keep the motor from slipping lower than I want and one below the bow guard to limit how high I can raise the motor.

If a quick slip lever is available in the stud size to match the collar bolts, that would work.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    I purchased the Bob quickslip handle for the tUltrex and it does replace the knob as indicated. It does work but I'm concerned that it would be easy to overtighten if not careful. Not sure how much torq that collar can take without snapping. I'm still leaning toward a collar like you have shown in the pic but one that is hinged on one side and a knob on the other. That way it can be hinged open to place around the shaft and then tightened down with a knob OR by using the quickslip device I just purchased.

I did find what I'm looking for but can't find a source to buy it.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

I purchased the Bob quickslip handle for the tUltrex and it does replace the knob as indicated. It does work but I'm concerned that it would be easy to overtighten if not careful. Not sure how much torq that collar can take without snapping. I'm still leaning toward a collar like you have shown in the pic but one that is hinged on one side and a knob on the other. That way it can be hinged open to place around the shaft and then tightened down with a knob OR by using the quickslip device I just purchased.

I did find what I'm looking for but can't find a source to buy it.
    I found some hinged versions:

https://www.kimballmidwest.com/All-P...Shaft-Collars/

https://us.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detail/110300020670/

https://www.globalspec.com/industria..._shaft_collars

Even the split collar I use you can put the lever on one side and just tighten the opposite side screw enough to make the lever effective.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Craig.. Let us know how it works out !
    I put an aluminum stiffener under the knob on mine to keep it from slipping.. I looked at the Quickslip for the ease of adjusting the motor height. However I had concerns about the cord hanging on it when using spot lock.. Mine has already looped around the knob and jerked the wires out of the housing.

9. Member
    I will Mike and thanks for mentioning the cord getting caught on the handle.

Wayne, the one you linked to is a stafford and I've been looking at that one but it does not hinge open. It looks to be a very sleek collar
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

I have the Bob's handle and it will get caught in the coil cord if not positioned properly. Once I folded it up vertically, close to the shaft, I've had no problems whatsoever. I really like the lever. It makes hanging out over the bow and raising my 52" Ultrex a lot easier. If adjusted correctly it will hold the motor without over stressing the collar.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

11. Member
    good info on folding up close to the shaft. my main concern with the quip slip is the ability to over tighten it and cracking the collar. And I don't lean over the bow with eh motor down to raise and lower the motor to adjust the collar. I simply bring the motor up to a stow position where the lower unit resting on the mount neutraizes the weight on the shaft and it then slides up or down easily.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

12. Member
    I have a few collars ordered to test and see which one will do the job best
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

. And I don't lean over the bow with eh motor down to raise and lower the motor to adjust the collar. I simply bring the motor up to a stow position where the lower unit resting on the mount neutraizes the weight on the shaft and it then slides up or down easily.
    Have to try that again. I was not successful with my attempts.. Never found a neutral spot !!
    Lowering is easy.. Its raising that gets tough.

14. Member
    I simply bring the motor up to a stow position where the lower unit resting on the mount neutraizes the weight on the shaft and it then slides up or down easily.
    If all is adjusted as it should, when you stow the motor there is a "bow" in the shaft that helps lock the motor down. It will/should not slide in this position. However, bringing it up to just before stowed (apx 30degrees) allows you to move the motor up with less effort.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

15. Member
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I do John. It's a very small window of opportunity to move it up or down with some of the weight off just enough to slide up or down.

I received 2 of the collars from Mcmaster-Carr today. One is too small and the other is too large; inside ID that is. One is 1 3/8" and the other is 1 1/4". I called MK and got the exact size of the shaft which is 1.3" or 1 5/16. So the 1 3/8 is 1/16th too large. I'm thinking now it might be better to have one that is too large. My idea is....I don't want it to be metal digging into that plastic shaft so if the collar was large enough (inside diameter) maybe I could adhere some 3M rubber tape to each side which when clamped down would really hold well with minimal force??

I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel but I really do get annoyed during a day of fishing if I'm not real careful dropping the motor down gently it eventually bottoms out. Then I have to loosen the clamp and bring it back up again. And NO, I don't pull an Iconelli and "SLAM" my TM down like a big baby!!!!
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

16. Member
    Mike, I just received a collar from Stafford Mfg. It's hinged with a lever to lock it in place. I bought it with a larger ID so that I can use some kind of rubber material on the inside surface so it would snug tight and stay. Now I have to search for the correct thickness rubber or something . I'll keep ya posted.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P