mikesxpress

New Service bulletin 2018-10 for V6/V8 four strokes Recall/repair

Just got this in the mail for my 250 ProXS V8.

2. Member
    I got the bulletin yesterday and stopped by my dealer and asked the tech about it. He had the cowl off of a new 250 Pro XS and we located the harness in question; its in the center of the motor where the exhaust pipe connects to a boot just above the top level of the cowl and has a tag on labeled STARTER. He had not seen the bulletin yet and was going to check with Mercury to see what the recommended service procedure is, should be very minor. I am going to pull my cowl today and check it out.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

3. mikesxpress
    Peter,
    Take a picture.

I got my bulletin in yesterday as well I think what they're looking for is is the main starter harness can come in contact with the exhaust pipe burning the wire and actually making a short where it would not start if it was to get burned.

5. Member
    What they are looking at is the clamp on the upper end of the boot rubbing on the harness and shorting. The exhaust tube that you see and has the clamps is the outer cooling jacket for the exhaust and doesn't get that hot.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Above info is correct. The bulletin outlines steps to take in making certain that contact or abrasion of the wire will not occur in the future, as well.

If you receive a letter, get your engine in to your local Mercury Outboard Dealer to have the Bulletin Addressed.

For Application/Reference:

V6/V8 Production Models Serial# 2B575233 and below.

V8 250R or 300R Serial# 1E080536 and below.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor