Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Truck Camper Setup

I have a Four Wheel pop up truck camper (shell model), weighs in at 700lbs. mounted on a 1/2 ton 5.3L Silverado. Even though I have not had any problems, I am mindful of stopping distance .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TIPTOP; 11-19-2018 at 06:03 PM.

2. Member
    Great rig/setup!!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
    Great rig/setup!!
    Thanks

4. Banned
    Neat rig. I think you might have max'd out your truck, however.

Most don't realize that to tow relatively heavy on 1/2 ton trucks, you've got to get both the RV package and the Max Tow package. Such trucks are seldom seen on dealership lots as the prerequisite options total up to just under $3K. It's about as cheap to just get a 3/4 ton gas truck to begin with.

Nice set up. I couldn't find any popups with a cab over under 1200 so to have one at 700 is impressive. I did want a stove and ac though
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbrison View Post
    Nice set up. I couldn't find any popups with a cab over under 1200 so to have one at 700 is impressive. I did want a stove and ac though
    That is why I went with the Raven shell model, to lessen the weight.

Do you have any inside images? Thanks

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Those are great campers, very popular out west.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnieG View Post
    Do you have any inside images? Thanks
    These are a few older photos I have. I am currently doing a few mods I hope to finish in another week.

Thanks for the images. A friend just completed the inside of his 4-wheel camper..If we ever get another camper, this will be the one..

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

looks good

2009 ELITE 210

12. Member
    Boy oh boy that is what I wanted. I have a 1/2 ton 2002 Silverado 5.3. Unfortunately I got a stepside not a fleetside. Four Wheel Camper does not make the shell for the stepside or I would have the same setup as you. Went with a Capri Camper without the cab to keep my payload under my max which is 1,350 lbs. Truck sat fairly level but I could tell the hood was higher in my view. I had a shop install airbags so I could level as I liked, worked out very good.

13. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Im sure the airbags helped your ride! Very smart set up.

OP, it looks to me like you could follow the fish and never look back! That’s a super nice dual axle trailer under that Xpress too!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breeves2245 View Post
    Boy oh boy that is what I wanted. I have a 1/2 ton 2002 Silverado 5.3. Unfortunately I got a stepside not a fleetside. Four Wheel Camper does not make the shell for the stepside or I would have the same setup as you. Went with a Capri Camper without the cab to keep my payload under my max which is 1,350 lbs. Truck sat fairly level but I could tell the hood was higher in my view. I had a shop install airbags so I could level as I liked, worked out very good.

Because I went with the shell model having an AC installed wasn’t an option, love your roof mounted unit. Have you encountered any steep ramps where you had to off load the camper to launch your boat?

15. Member
    Off loading is pretty much not an option. Due to the stepside, I could not use the normal tie downs, the camper bolts down through the bed. So getting four bolt holes lined up perfect ain't much fun.

I had a window put in the front of the camper so I could open the back door allowing me to see through to launch the boat. No issue on any ramp yet. Steep or not, those four bolts going through the bed will not allow the camper to slide.

16. Banned
    Those look really good. I have thought about buy a truck camper myself.

17. Member
    Like the TipTop rig!
    Was eyeballing that concept but I got outvoted and we went with a travel trailer instead. Bought a camper shell for ocassional sleeping for one night fishing trips.
    Still looking for a bit more comfort like your rig. Good quality construction on the Four Wheel.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbrison View Post
    I think there's someone down in Columbia, TN building a relatively inexpensive lightweight fiberglass camper/topper for pickups.

19. Member
    This gives me the itch even more! Only problem is the 2016 F150 won't be the vehicle to do it with, I will have to negotiate with management to upgrade to a 3/4 ton ride!!! Or I just do it and not say anything!!
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

Quote Originally Posted by Phnx Ed View Post
    This gives me the itch even more! Only problem is the 2016 F150 won't be the vehicle to do it with, I will have to negotiate with management to upgrade to a 3/4 ton ride!!! Or I just do it and not say anything!!
    Better to ask for forgiveness than permission
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast