Hydraulic Jack Plate Question

I just installed a new Atlas hydraulic jack plate. I have about 5 hours run time since the install and I love this thing so far.

One of the things that is new now is that I have to watch the engine or water pressure gauge because it is easy to lift the engine to far out of the water. I am running this on a Blazer, so I want it high, but I can go too high if not watching. Is there any method of setting a "Sweet spot" and hitting one button or switch to take it to a certain height?

Brad

2. Member
    Seastar Protap Jackplate Controller will do that if you want to spend the $$$
    2017 Nitro Z21
    2017 250 Pro XS T2 (SN 2B401909)
    Bravo 1XS 26P
    BMS 12" Action Jack
    Ultrex 112# - Solix 12 - 12' Talons

Club: lunkersunlimited.net

3. Member
    Thanks Bison2312,

That is basically what I was thinking of, but I don't think I want it quite that bad. =)

Brad

4. Member
    I’d get it where you like it and leave it alone.��

5. Member
    Don't you have a gauge on the jack plate? If not get one and quit worrying.

6. Member
    The so called sweet spot is a moving target . depending on the load for the day , wind direction and currrent . The heavier you run the deeper you go the lighter the higher you can run. It will very 1/2” to 3/4” depending on the prop you run and the performer of your haul .

I don't have a gauge. I measured prop to pad to be neutral "0" then I put a piece of red gator tape on the ruler in line with upper bracket and use this as a base line. I run many props that run from 3" below to 1/2" below so it's easy to move to position using tape. If I need to plane in very skinny water, I can run plate all the way up and as I'm planing move it down before it blows out.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

Don't like hydraulic plates, don't want the extra weight nor the potential problems. Skinny water is not problem. Neutral trim, turn strg all the way left, nail the throttle and the whole boat will lift very fast. As soon as it starts rising straighten the steering and I am on the pad
    Got to have good prop setup for this to work though
    Thank You Leon Pugh

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Don't like hydraulic plates, don't want the extra weight nor the potential problems. Skinny water is not problem. Neutral trim, turn strg all the way left, nail the throttle and the whole boat will lift very fast. As soon as it starts rising straighten the steering and I am on the pad
    Got to have good prop setup for this to work though
    Good call, all parts Leon! That'd be in the delta, Frank's Tract, Sherman or Big Break on too low a tide...
    Fish frequently, my friends! ----------<')))><
    2001 Triton TR20, 225L OptiMax, 26" Tempest Plus, Serial No: PT345686

10. Member
    I've fished tidal rivers where turning the wheel left or right will take you out of the narrow short channel deep enough to get on the boat on plane so I'll take the hydraulic jack plate. Raise it up nail it then drop back down after your on plane.