Vault hub system

Can anyone tell me how to check grease/oil in them I read there should be a plug but I dont guess I'm smart enough to find it. Leaving for florida in a couple weeks to fish the harris chain for the bass champion ship and dont want to have issues on the side of the road

2. Member
    It is not possible to check them without removing the chrome dust cap which is not recommended unless servicing. If there is no major leakage from the seals on the rear of the hubs (grease splatter on inside of wheels) then you should be fine. Those hubs are supposed to be maintenance free for 10 yrs.

3. Member
    I new 10yrs but I have 3 that get black with oily residue so thought I might should check before a long haul. I feel them frequent but my lakes are 10-15 miles from my house

4. Banned
    You'll know if they need replacing... Grease everywhere... Dan

5. Member
    Mine lasted four years before loosing a wheel,luckily just as we were backing in to fish camp

6. Member
    Oil filled or grease hubs?

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet 250 View Post
    Oil filled or grease hubs?
    My Stratos trailer had Vault hubs. They're easy to work on. I ended up replacing all the rear seals because they leaked. The grease come in a tube like other products. When the grease reaches a certain temperature it then transforms into an oil... Correct me if I'm wrong about the grease/ oil... Won't be the first or last time I'm wrong... Dan

8. Member
    My 2016 Boatmate trailer has Vault hubs, they are oil filled, and I believe they use 20w50 oil, I used racing oil in my hubs a n my 2004 custom line oil filled hubs

9. Member
    Dan is correct, vault is a hybrid grease that turns to oil when hot & back to grease when cold.

10. Member

11. Member
    I rebuilt one of mine last year because of a rear seal leak. There is not real good way to check the grease, just inspect seal and cap for any major leaks. Vault has some PDF files with good instructions on checking bearings, and filling instructions. Before your trip, just jack up each wheel and rock tire to check for play. Any more than 1/8" at outside of tire, and the nut needs to be snugged finger tight. Also, I would suggest only using a new cap, because if it comes off the liquefied grease will come out in a hurry.

12. Member
    Thanks guys

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketmanjp View Post
    Dan is correct, vault is a hybrid grease that turns to oil when hot & back to grease when cold.
    I didn't know that, thanks, I guess I have 3 more years

14. Member
    I’m at 10 years. Should I replace all 4 caps and re fill?

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xb03fs View Post
    I’m at 10 years. Should I replace all 4 caps and re fill?
    Wouldn't hurt... The caps aren't all that expensive and it's easy to do... Dan