Thread: 2013 250 Pro XS

2013 250 Pro XS

2013 pro xs
    Ser# 2b009131
    While fishing Saturday my motor lost power and started vibrating bad. I took my plugs out and checked them and #6 was bent and had aluminum splattered on it. Has anyone ever heard of this before and what could be the cause. Thanks.

2. Member
    Don't sounds good. Lose a piston for sure.

Several things could have caused it--- No doubt that cylinder is toast.

4. Member
    Sounds like a possible cold seize.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Sounds like a possible cold seize.
    Thats what mine looked like.. Also had a 225 Pro max looked that way after it ran lean.

RIP 2B009131. Time for a rebuild.

7. Member
    I'm getting the motor rebuilt and was wondering if anything can be done to increase performance. This motor has always been very weak.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ast View Post
    I'm getting the motor rebuilt and was wondering if anything can be done to increase performance. This motor has always been very weak.
    Nope.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Make sure all systems are functioning as they are supposed to (including thermostats, fuel system, ignition system, etc). Not really any "upgrade".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Make sure all systems are functioning as they are supposed to (including thermostats, fuel system, ignition system, etc). Not really any "upgrade".
    Everything was checked out by the mechanics with mercury telling them what to check. Everything checked ok. Still don't know what happened. Just hope it doesn't happen again. A lot of money to spend on a motor with only 114hrs.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Unfortunately, if you cannot determine the cause, it is very likely that you will repeat history (sentencing another powerhead to the same fate).

Pictures of that cylinder AND PISTON may prove helpful.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor