Fury 3 26 Question

I recently bought a Fury 3 26 off the Bass Cat owners forum. I ran it a couple of days ago for the first time. I had to lower the jack plate to 2-3 on the Atlas gauge to keep it from blowing out while taking off. All the plugs are open, is this pretty standard for the Fury 3’s, run them lower? I’ve been running 4 bladed props. Boat is a 17 Eyra, Mercury 250. I got it up to 77 but my wife was not thrilled so that was it for the day as far as speed.

2. Member
    Yes sir, that is normal for a fury 3 blade. You will find the hole shot to be better if you raise the plate a little then as you hit the gas start dropping the plate to prevent blowout. It's one of the advantages of the hydraulic plate that I use the most.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

Quote Originally Posted by shapfromla View Post
    Yes sir, that is normal for a fury 3 blade. You will find the hole shot to be better if you raise the plate a little then as you hit the gas start dropping the plate to prevent blowout. It's one of the advantages of the hydraulic plate that I use the most.
    Thanks Chris, I’ll try that next time out.

4. Member
    Which 4 blades were you running prior? I running a Fury 3 on my Eyra and does the same thing, put a large plug on it and it helped
    2018 BassCat Eyra - 250Pro XS

I had Fury 4’s but sold them. I currently have the Fury 3 26 and a Bravo I XS 26. I have to run the Bravo I XS deeper also than the Fury 4 I had. I damaged a Bravo I XS and thought it was easily repairable but found out it can’t be repaired so bought the new 26p Bravo. I ran a 25 in the summer and a 26 in the winter and will most likely do the same with the Bravo.

What did you like about the Bravos over the Furys? Also do you prefer the 4 blades over the 3 blade?
    I`m having tough time deciding to go back to a 3 blade,but getting tired of slinging blades on the 4`s.
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

Quote Originally Posted by bass-action View Post
    What did you like about the Bravos over the Furys? Also do you prefer the 4 blades over the 3 blade?
    I`m having tough time deciding to go back to a 3 blade,but getting tired of slinging blades on the 4`s.
    Which 4 blades did you sling a blade on? That was one of my concerns with the Fury 4 though I had been using one for over a year and a half. I had a couple people very familiar with the Eyra tell me the Fury 4 was not the best prop for this boat so that’s when I decided to try a Bravo XS. I haven’t run it enough to really give an opinion over the Fury 4. I will say mid range acceleration is really good and it seems to lift the boat more and first impressions are it’s a little better ride in rough water. I run the Bravo XS deeper than the Fury 4 and it gives better lift so it seems to ride better in rough water. Saying that, I’m definitely not a prop pro and there are others way more knowledgeable than me on props and driving. I was told the blades are shorter on the Bravo XS therefore the reason you have to run it deeper.

Slung 2 on a fury 4,heard bad batch. One out of warranty other was replaced.
    Ran a Bravo on my old Ranger and really performed well.
    It is such a difference in my opinion on how the boat handles between the 3 and 4 blades. The 4 makes boat ride so much higher and more responsive. Going back to a 3 is a big adjustment.
    Considering calling Ronnie Gilbert and asking him if it's possible to get a 3 blade to perform close to a 4.
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

9. Member
    The other thing to think about is, if you have the Gen 2 Wingmaster lower unit, it performs better if raised to 3" or a little less below pad. The prop will spin up on hole shot, I just feather the throttle a little until it bites. You'll still get plenty of lift from that Fury 3.

A Bravo 1 FS with extra PVS holes ran real good on my Cougar. It was a 28P. I had a Gen 1 lower, I ran the Bravo about 3.5" below pad. The Gen 1 seemed to perform better deeper.

FWIW I have an 04 cougar with 225 opti. I have both a 25 fury3 and a 25 fury 4. I talked to Ronnie Gilbert last week and he advised me that the worked fury 3 would be the best option for my set up. So I will be sending it off next week.
    "heard it in a love song.........can't be wrong"

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    I recently bought a Fury 3 26 off the Bass Cat owners forum. I ran it a couple of days ago for the first time. I had to lower the jack plate to 2-3 on the Atlas gauge to keep it from blowing out while taking off. All the plugs are open, is this pretty standard for the Fury 3’s, run them lower? I’ve been running 4 bladed props. Boat is a 17 Eyra, Mercury 250. I got it up to 77 but my wife was not thrilled so that was it for the day as far as speed.
    Scott - I am running a 26 that was tuned by Ronnie as well. I have found that my best holeshot is to raise the jp to 8-9 and as soon as it starts coming up go ahead and lower it. My best top end was 81 running the jp at 5 with the 26 but that was by myself so if you hit 77 with 2 people that's not too shabby.

I have a 3 blade 25 and a 26 and a 4 blade 26 and I asked Ronnie which prop he thought I should send him as the best choice on my Eyra and he said the 26 3 blade as well.

Thanks Tony, I will try that with the Fury 3. I put 4 of the large plugs on the inside holes of my Bravo 1 XS 26 and tried it today. Seemed about perfect, great hole shot, didn’t blow out at all. Acceleration on this prop is really good. I know it’s a little slower on top end but it accelerates so fast it makes up for some of top end speed loss. We had a short day fishing today. My son got up and detailed my truck. It wasn’t supposed to rain until tonight. It started raining and we left the rain gear at home. Now the truck and boat are filthy so get to wash both again. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

13. Member
    What was the rpms and speeds on the Bravo XS. I am about to pull the trigger on a Bravo I XS for my Eyra, and debating a 27 Bravo I XS. I loved it on my previous boat, I know wont be as fast as the Fury 3 but I liked the way it handled loaded for a tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by CKEyra View Post
    What was the rpms and speeds on the Bravo XS. I am about to pull the trigger on a Bravo I XS for my Eyra, and debating a 27 Bravo I XS. I loved it on my previous boat, I know wont be as fast as the Fury 3 but I liked the way it handled loaded for a tournament.
    I haven't run the Bravo 1 XS 26 a lot but have had it up to 76, not sure on the exact rpm’s. Next time out I’ll try and get exact numbers. Wakeboard boats are still out on Conroe so it wasn’t that smooth. Holeshot was very good with four rear holes open and I used the large plugs that came with the prop for the four inner holes. I did not have the livewells full but 3/4 fuel in both tanks. I preferred the four large plugs vs. all 8 vent holes open. It allowed me to raise the jackplate some and prop never blew out. Acceleration on this prop is great! It might not be as fast on top end as a 3 blade but it’ll get up to top speed much faster.

if I recall correctly (not home right now) the prop came with 8 plugs. Four fully plugged and four that had large holes.

15. Member
    Awesome to hear, I heard the 27 is actually easier to spin than the 26 for some reason, think due to thinning of the blades. Just want to make sure able to keep rpms where need to be. Running a 25P Fury 3 currently and in winter it runs 5950 at 78+ and summer at 5800 at 77-78+ pending load. Just doesn't love a heavy load as much and I know the Bravo XS never cared if previous boat was loaded or not.

Quote Originally Posted by sodaksker View Post
    FWIW I have an 04 cougar with 225 opti. I have both a 25 fury3 and a 25 fury 4. I talked to Ronnie Gilbert last week and he advised me that the worked fury 3 would be the best option for my set up. So I will be sending it off next week.
    I will tell you from experience with a 03 cougar 225, Start with a 24 fury 3 and base line then send it to Ronnie. It will a better prop when worked up instead of down. 3 3/8 in was the sweet spot on my boat with a gilbert prepped fury
    Thank You Leon Pugh

I had a fairly calm day earlier in the week and with the Bravo 1 XS 26 got 75.5 and 6040 RPM’s and ran in to some chop so backed off. Water temp was 56-57 and air temp upper 50’s. I actually had a little higher speed, less rpm’s, a couple weeks prior when it was warmer. I think maybe a 27 pitch Bravo XS might be better in the colder weather, say 60’s and below. Hole shot was very good with me and my son, one fuel tank 3/4, other half, no water in livewells. Acceleration was awesome with this prop, I was up to 70 very quick. Anyone running a 27 pitch in the Bravo I XS?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    I had a fairly calm day earlier in the week and with the Bravo 1 XS 26 got 75.5 and 6040 RPM’s and ran in to some chop so backed off. Water temp was 56-57 and air temp upper 50’s. I actually had a little higher speed, less rpm’s, a couple weeks prior when it was warmer. I think maybe a 27 pitch Bravo XS might be better in the colder weather, say 60’s and below. Hole shot was very good with me and my son, one fuel tank 3/4, other half, no water in livewells. Acceleration was awesome with this prop, I was up to 70 very quick. Anyone running a 27 pitch in the Bravo I XS?
    This thread may give you some insight to your 27 Bravo question C130 http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=933904

Quote Originally Posted by bass-action View Post
    Slung 2 on a fury 4,heard bad batch. One out of warranty other was replaced.
    Ran a Bravo on my old Ranger and really performed well.
    It is such a difference in my opinion on how the boat handles between the 3 and 4 blades. The 4 makes boat ride so much higher and more responsive. Going back to a 3 is a big adjustment.
    Considering calling Ronnie Gilbert and asking him if it's possible to get a 3 blade to perform close to a 4.
    I read on alot of prop stories. I had a caracal and ran a 24p fury 4 on it, was great. I have seen lots of them that pitched the top half of one ear, not sure why. I was never spinning high rpms on mine. I just moved to a 17 puma with a 25p 3 blade, and the boat lifts and carries well with the heavy load of poles and extra batteries. I know a guy Chuck down in LA had a caracal and wasnt a fan of the lift, had several 3 and 4 blades for the boat, and said his worked 25p by Ronnie lifted and increased his handling far better than any of the other props he tried. I think he will be able to tune anything into the prop you want. Hope to send mine to him after I get some summer time temps in the new puma to see how the hole shot is.
    Last edited by Louie; 02-22-2019 at 04:16 PM.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"