Mercury 4-stroke 250 re power

I am waiting on my twin new fourstroke 250s to be delivered to my dealer to replace my 250 EFIs. I am working on getting the boat electrical system ready. I've read that I need AGM batteries with at least 975 CCA so will likely go with the a pair of batteries plus X2.

I currently have a separate battery for my house electronics and would like to keep that. I often spend many hours at anchor with the engines off and the radio going with multiple amps drawing power so I keep that away from my starting batteries. I currently use a automatic charging relay to charge the house battery when the engines are running. From what I've read that system may not be the best idea with the new fourstroke. Any recommendations on how to get the house battery charged from the engines when running? I am worried if i run all the electronics off the starting batteries i'll have issues.

thanks!

2. Member
    It seems to me that your house battery should be able to run your accessories for several hours.

You have an on board charger, charging the house battery correct?

Are you having issues with the house battery draining? If not, I would not worry about it.

Secondly, it would take a very long run to charge the battery back up, although those options won't hurt to give you the most out of the house battery.

I wonder if the Minkota would be an option.

https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoo...nator?id=13891

3. Member
    Yep I can run it for hours without an issue but I run into some challenges with the recharge. Due to some challenges with my neighbors my boat is on a lift that is powered by generator only when i'm there running the lift or working on the boat so the onboard charger can only help for a short period. My hope is to get the house recharged as much as possible while I'm running. I'm looking at adding a solar panel to the dock to try and bridge the gap and top the batteries off.

If something like that minkota wouldn't cause an issue with the new fourstrokes it certainly is an option.

4. Member

This is what Mercury Racing recommends for twin engine with a house battery. This battery isolator is different in that it uses FET technology which has minimal voltage loss compared to conventional analog versions.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 11-26-2018 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Announcements

5. Member
    I tried attaching a link here, but was denied.

The Victor ArgoFET 3 bank battery isolator is what Mercury Racing recommends for dual engine with a house battery application. The ArgoFET technology is digital and therefore takes less voltage away from charging the batteries. I’ve used them and found them very reliable, and easy to source.

6. Member
    Thanks! i'll look into those

7. Member
    I have ordered a twin setup of Verado 300, so I was thinking of the same issue. When I look at the Vicron stuff I don’t understand the wireing if you want to benefit from charging from both alternators on the house battery