Motor Mate or Transom Saver? 150 Merc XR6

2. Pat Goff
    Motor mate.
    I hate transom savers.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

Thanks!

4. Scraps
    MotorMate is so simple and easy to stow.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    motormate

6. Member
    I picked up the Moto-Stop after the brackets failed on the motormate (motormate did send me replacement brackets). I wanted something that has minimum potential to fail on long trips. The Moto-Stop is a block that sits over the trim rods and you cinch the motor down on it. It’s easy and foolproof. It’s has worked out very well for me.
    David
    2014 Ranger Z521C
    Fishing Lanier, Hartwell, Tennessee River & Coosa River

I bought a Motor-Mate last year for my 150 OptiMax. Definitely easier to use than a stick type transom saver. I’ve still not seen any evidence that one is better than the other as far as relieving stress on the transom when towing. BCB recommends a stick type transom saver, but I’ll take the chance for convenience sake.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

MotorMate is my choice.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snookonfly View Post
    I picked up the Moto-Stop after the brackets failed on the motormate (motormate did send me replacement brackets). I wanted something that has minimum potential to fail on long trips. The Moto-Stop is a block that sits over the trim rods and you cinch the motor down on it. It’s easy and foolproof. It’s has worked out very well for me.
    Forgot to mention that the moto-stop makes the skeg ride higher than the motormate so my skeg doesn’t drag on the pavement in places where a trailer with a motormate will drag the skeg.

Quote Originally Posted by snookonfly View Post
    Get you a set of steering clips to eliminate side to side play. Just trust me on this one

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner6901 View Post
    Get you a set of steering clips to eliminate side to side play. Just trust me on this one
    Moto-Stop comes with the steering clips. I use them on every drive. They work great! Never had the motor fall over on its side.

Have you had some issues in the past from not using the steering clips?

Yeah I bought a new boat from a popular dealer that put just a set of those on without the clips and said I was good to go. The area I lived in had pretty curvy bumpy roads and I went through 2 sets of seals in the steering pretty quick before I switched to motor mate. It would be awesome to not have to learn everything the hard way.

13. Member
    I have a motormate and love it. Super easy to use. I used to have the sticks and just feel more comfortable the motormate. I still use the steering clips with the motormate for added security since I have them.

I went with the Motor Mate, TW has a nice sale 20% off.

15. Member
    With the motor mate isn't the weight still all on the transom?

16. Member
    Yes it's still all there.

17. Pat Goff
    Why I don't like stick transom saver:
    Your boat is tied to the trailer, no matter what tie down device you use, it'll always bounce on the trailer, follow a boat going down a bumpy road and you'll see it bounce. Can't stop that.

When you put a stick on the motor, the boat still bounces, but now you've got that stick giving another shot at the boat through the motor, plus it's at an angle, not just up and down. Without the stick the motor just bounces straight up and down, at the same time the boat is bouncing, without the extra shot being taken.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

18. Member
    I ordered a lock n stow just off brand from matormate I believe. Just delivered today and even without towing I am sold. I dont see how I will ever go back to a transom saver style ever again!

19. Member
    lock-N-Stow for my opti last 5 years. Rock solid

20. Member
    That's very true Pat, I have seen that when a dum dum ( Tom Tom) took us down a gravel road going to a boat ramp on a new lake. Pull your trailer empty, I have had several brands, basically all the white river group and others an they all will flex some going down the road.......is that the best way to take care of your transom??��
    Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast