Thread: What size line?

What size line?

Curious, what size line everyone uses for vertical spooning in our deep reservoirs. Floro , mono, braid, whats your preference, say when using 1/2 - 3/4 oz spoons ?

Flouro...and for anything 1/2 oz or greater 12+ lbs
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

Braid to Floro. Braid eliminates the stretch. Much better hook up ratio for me anyway. Lb test depends on Spoon size and weight. 10 to 15 lb Tatsu is what I generally use attached to 30 lb power pro.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

4. Member
    Straight 12 or 15 lb Izorline usually with 1/2 and 3/4 spoons.

5. Member
    30 braid.. to 10-12 floro .. with 1/2 to 1 oz spoons..

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

15 lb. Trilene XT or P-Line CXX mono for bass in lakes and 25 lb. XT or CXX for spoons up to 3 oz. for Stripers in the Delta.
    2012 Stratos ChampioN 183 Elite
    Mercury 175 ProXS

7. Member
    I use 15 pound red label.

8. Member
    So do you guys use a ball bearing swivel to eliminate line twist, and if so do you attach to the braid on one end and the flouro to the other side? Also if you do, whats the average length separating the two.
    The reasons for all the questions I don't have much luck over the top of the fish, fishing this way. Usually I'll find the fish, and pass over them and the turn around and cast a A-rig threw them with a 50/50 chance of connecting up. It doesn't always work but I've had great success with that. I know its not always going to work so that's why I'm trying to figure this out.
    One last question, I'm sure like anything else, the rod is just as important. Whats your preference.
    Thanks for all your input, helping me figure this out. I know it isn't rocket science, but I struggle with it.
    Steve
    Last edited by steveblack; 11-21-2018 at 06:12 PM.

9. Member
    Steve,
    When I’m spooning, it’s usually on a lake, I don’t do it on the river much. That being said, on the lakes, Berryessa, Pedro,Melones, etc I have found it best to go with 15-18lb flouro. I like the heavier line, I don’t worry about breaking off. Yes, you will get some line twist, but for me it only happens if I’m doing it a lot. And that comes with spooning.
    As far as a rod goes, something with a long handle. I park it under my non reeling armpit. I have lost many fish doing the one handed thing, or not being in the right position for that hard thump and,it keeps me ready to reel in. Good luck. You sometimes need to stay on them for a couple minutes. Give them a chance to find it and eat.

Terry

10. Member
    Thanks Terry, going to put this info to good work this weekend .