Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Opinions on Boats

Looking into maybe buying a new boat. I'm looking at several different boats, and was hoping do get some opinions about the boats. I was looking into the Phoenix 919 pro, Bass Cat Caracal, and Charger 198 Elite. I'm hoping some of y'all can shed some light on the three boats on the good parts and maybe somethings that you now don't like. I really appreciate the help.

Dormapj

2. Pat Goff
    Nothing is built as good as the cat.
    The 198 will ride the best.
    What do you want? And where you’re going to use it are your priorities.

A guy that fishes big lakes has a different need than the guy that thinks foot high whitecaps is rough.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

I would look at a Blazer 625 Pro Elite w/250. Wide deck, fast, stable. I know its not on your list. Bigger than the ones listed and 7 to 10k less.

Quote Originally Posted by Dormapj View Post
    Looking into maybe buying a new boat. I'm looking at several different boats, and was hoping do get some opinions about the boats. I was looking into the Phoenix 919 pro, Bass Cat Caracal, and Charger 198 Elite. I'm hoping some of y'all can shed some light on the three boats on the good parts and maybe somethings that you now don't like. I really appreciate the help.

Dormapj

4. Member
    Danible70 I was looking at the blazer 525 pro elite, but I figured that the price of it will be out of my reach. I want to be somewhere in 50K range.

5. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I’d go with whichever layout suits your needs best. Imo the Bass Cat would be the choice.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

6. Banned
    Danible70 I was looking at the blazer 525 pro elite, but I figured that the price of it will be out of my reach. I want to be somewhere in 50K range.

Prepare for mid $50k’s

7. Member
    All 3 of those boats will be over $50. All 3 are the best 19' boats on the market. Ride quality will be charger, phoenix, cat and speed will be cat, phoenix then charger but 919 can be upper 70s. I'm not completely sure on the Caracal top speed but it should be right there as well. Best thing to do is go look, climb all over them, bring some rods and lay them on the deck, and get a ride.

8. Banned
    If you like a traditional layout, then don’t bother with the BassCat, everything about them is different. Charger will be the most boring, but traditional.

$46k
    https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2...andard+listing

10. Member
    If your planning on keeping the boat for a long time . Stay away from boats with all those plastic trims and go with a manufacture that has a great customer service . You buy a boat that is not top of the line when you do decide to sell or trade it It will be hard to sell or trade in you will get rock bottom price for your rig .

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    If you like a traditional layout, then don’t bother with the BassCat, everything about them is different. Charger will be the most boring, but traditional.
    This

Ive got the Caracal. Use it primarily on the Great Lakes. Most who ride in the boat think it’s at least a 20 footer. Handles the rough stuff better than most. I love the layout - I don’t have to move my rods around to get another rod out, same for getting at my tackle. Tons of storage. 59 gallon fuel capacity for long runs. I believe it has the widest deck of the brands you mentioned, but I haven’t double checked to guarantee that. PM me if you have specific questions. Probably better than getting advice from folks that don’t own the boat.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

13. Pat Goff
    Here's how to pick your winner...
    You're in Houston, is Rayburn/Toledo/Livingston your main lakes?
    Tournament fish? How hard core are you?
    How skilled a driver are you? What have you owned before? What did you like/dislike about your previous experience?
    Fishing, are you a sit out in the lake deep guy or sneaking around the shallow stuff mostly?
    Those are the questions I'd be asking if you walked in looking for a rig. Those answers will point you in the direction you need to go, without the noise from people who think you need to run what they run.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    How skilled a driver are you? What have you owned before? What did you like/dislike about your previous experience?
    Fishing, are you a sit out in the lake deep guy or sneaking around the shallow stuff mostly?
    Those are the questions I'd be asking if you walked in looking for a rig. Those answers will point you in the direction you need to go, without the noise from people who think you need to run what they run.
    + 1
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    Good points. And I could care less what someone else runs. Just hoping to help someone that asked specifically about the boat I run.

Cheers

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

16. Member
    Hey Pat

I do agree that I need to answer those questions and I believe I have. I have owned boats for years back home on the gulf coast, but never top of the line before. I have always enjoyed a good fruit jar tournament with a local club. I just always owned smaller used boats. The last boat I had was a used javelin that me and my brother rebuilt from the floor up but bought me out when I moved to Texas. Now I would like to get a boat I don't have to rebuild now or anytime in the future. Those are the three I narrowed it down to and was hoping for some outside opinions. I have a feeling I will be spending about the same amount of money on either or. Thanks for the help sir

17. Scraps
    I have a Phoenix 819 a couple years now from a Ranger. Not sold on it. I think it's the front deck layout. I don't like that huge center compartment and I don't need the huge deck. I would like to have a day box compartment. The center rod storage layouts have me interested on some of the BCBs and Skeeters. I liked my Ranger deck, it wasn't straight across at the consoles and you could sit down with some room when rigging and retying with the center compartment open. I would add Skeeter to your list as some of the layouts look nice and the packaged price on their boats is good IMHO.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

18. Member
    Skeeter zx225 or zx250 is a boat to look into!

19. Pat Goff
    There are many decisions to be made in making a major purchase.

And with all the noise yakking at you does not make it easy.

I have no dog in this hunt but if I were looking this is the way I’d go about it.
    Nothing happens until I take a serious ride. I want to see how it rides. Handles at all speeds. Drop the troll motor and see how it fishes.
    Learn how boats are built and why this one is done this way.

Knowledge is power. The more you know the happier you’ll be
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

20. Pat Goff
    There are many decisions to be made in making a major purchase.

And with all the noise yakking at you does not make it easy.

I have no dog in this hunt but if I were looking this is the way I’d go about it.
    Nothing happens until I take a serious ride. I want to see how it rides. Handles at all speeds. Drop the troll motor and see how it fishes.
    Learn how boats are built and why this one is done this way.

Knowledge is power. The more you know the happier you’ll be
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast