Champion 184 Transon Rebuild

I am just digging into a transom rebuild this winter and have the canundrum of seacast or wood. Based on my tapping with a ball peen and what I can see between the cap and the hull my transom is rotted across the very top and the upper left quadrant. It doesn’t flex and it doesn’t leak brown goo but there is no way I could sell it. My first question is:

if if I cut the top of the cap like you would do with seacast could I just epoxy in a new wood trans instead of pouring one? I run on rivers alot and want the strongest most forgiving option. This assumes I’m lucky and my and my knees and stringers are good. With the rot hopefully starting up so high I think I’m good.
    Last edited by druthomas; 11-19-2018 at 12:10 AM.
    1990 Champion 184DC/FS
    1990 Evinrude 150XP Raker 22P
    2x HB Helix 9SI
    MK Ultrex 80# Ipilot

2. Member
    Or could I laminate sheets of coosa together and drop it in with resin?
    1990 Champion 184DC/FS
    2x HB Helix 9SI
    MK Ultrex 80# Ipilot

3. Member
    Talking with mmosher on fb, I think it will have to be poured. I am looking at SeaCast but may consider arjay as well.
    1990 Champion 184DC/FS
    2x HB Helix 9SI
    MK Ultrex 80# Ipilot

4. Member
    I replaced the transom on my 1988 Procraft 1780V this summer. I used seacast. excellent material and the company works well with you from start to finish giving thorough instructions and advice. Email me for some photos I have. I though the seacast was much easier to work with and use instead of cutting wood and keep trying to fit it. instead I could just pour this in and have the piece of mind of it never rotting.