Rough Water Ride

I’ve noticed that some props give my boat a noticeably softer ride than others. Can anyone explain to me why that is?

2. Member
    It can be several thing, but most likely the props that don't lift the bow very well usually run slower but give a better ride. Just like trimming down in rough water.

3. Member
    I believe it's because some props lift the stern better than others making the boat ride higher and lighter in the water.

4. Member
    Dwish- the stern lift was what it seemed to be to me as well, just wasn’t sure if someone had a “scientific” answer- your answer confirms what I had suspected. I’ve had several props that had great bow lift but not as much stern lift and seemed to be a lot harder landing in heavy chop than the props that had more noticeable stern lift. I bought a T-1 that had been worked for another guy by Lanier propeller and it was a noticeably softer ride than my stock T1 or another that one that had been worked by Mark.

5. Member
    my experiences have been bow lift props ride poor. cant hold bow down in rough.. boat leaps and pounds. more stern lift holds stern up bow down.. boat doesnt bounce and pitch as much. I will never run a 3 blade again. none of them ride well. and Handle like garbage once you compare to a 4 blade
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

It is all about a prop that matches your specific boat the best, a prop that has good low speed lift that does not let the nose of the boat drop fast. This is why in many but not always a 4 blade with a fair amount of cup & rake do well In this regard. With that said the smoothest riding prop I have ever used on any of my boats happens to be Fury III prepped by Ronnie Gilberts, it also has best holeshot an lowest slip number I have ever seen on any bass boat (5 percent with a wingmaster case)
    To much trim up will cause it to suddenly drop causing a rough ride and to much trim down is the worst thing to do since it will slam the bow down after cresting waves. Forcing the bow down to keep it from lifting can help but sooner or later you will punch a wave and fill your boat
    Thank You Leon Pugh

I never noticed a prop change effecting the ride of my boat. Handling, holeshot and performance? Yes. Trim angle is the main thing that effects ride. One prop may need a different trim angle than another to carry the boat the same, but the ride of the boat is more effected by the driver and his input than the prop.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatshaft Merc View Post
    I never noticed a prop change effecting the ride of my boat. Handling, holeshot and performance? Yes. Trim angle is the main thing that effects ride. One prop may need a different trim angle than another to carry the boat the same, but the ride of the boat is more effected by the driver and his input than the prop.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

9. Member
    If you dont notice a difference then you drive on rivers and small bodies.

on top a 2-3ft chop a tempest plus or fury will not hold bow down till u reach 3o+mph or so at full neg trim. which make a for a poor ride nose up .needing throttle again to push bow down. you just get pounded hard and have less control.

plenty of 4 blades i have tried have no problem running steady @ mid 30s in brutal conditions a 3blade couldn't stay on plane .
    4 blade holds stern up bow down bow slices waves no slapping. bow has less rise and fall. I even run closer to neutral trim on my 4 blades in rough.

to me that's a better ride.
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

10. Member
    12many is right i swapped a tempest for a trophy and within a 1/8 mile knew the trophy rode better and also didn't work the motor as hard. You also get better fuel mileage.Same driver just different props.

11. Member
    A person can also go to Rothwell marine web site and look at the description on the bravo Lt prop concerning ride of the boat.

12. Member
    Thanks for all of the responses guys. I know without a doubt that some props ride softer and dryer on my Legend V-20 than others, regardless of trim, load, driver input, etc. in a very similar manner to lightening my boat’s load. It definitely seems like the softer riding props “feel” like they have more stern lift. I’m not sure if the design of the Legend hulls (I noticed this on my Alpha 211 also) plays a part in this as well or not due to the fact that they are heavy and seem to naturally ride low.

13. Member
    I run big water all the time I run both at different times of the year . Tempest or a trophy . There is no differnce in ride . It’s all jack plate Height and trim angle . Driver in put is key on big water . BASSCat puma 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by skennedy View Post
    I run big water all the time I run both at different times of the year . Tempest or a trophy . There is no differnce in ride . It’s all jack plate Height and trim angle . Driver in put is key on big water . BASSCat puma 250 SHO
    I used to think that as well, until I got a really good prop that Ronnie Gilbert prepped for me. I just thought my Cougar had a good rough water ride, I was amazed at the difference even on the high speed wake crossovers. Also less side to side roll when passing other boat wakes on the first run
    Last edited by lpugh; 12-06-2018 at 12:21 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

15. Member
    I've ran 4 different props on my 721/sho combo. 25t1, 25 trophy, 26 bravo xs, and 26 tempest. Every one runs different. Different stern heights, bow lift, speed, and rough water ride. The bravo just didnt ride good in rough water. T1 is the best but now it's a little stiff after putting 15' talons on. The trophy rides pretty good and has a bunch of stern lift, also feels really hooked up good but gives up a couple mph. The tempest wasnt bad but could have used a little work to make it run almost like the t1