Thread: 2018 Success

2018 Success

I’m not long back from my annual bowhunt with an old military friend at his farms in Illinois. This year was definitely a success. I usually plan to stay a week to 10 days over the rut. I got there on Sunday afternoon and we headed out for a quick evening hunt, mainly just to get the routine down, ensure I hadn’t forgotten anything important etc. It was a fun evening watching numerous young bucks moving through, nothing mature however.

The following morning I hunted a stand on the edge of a picked cornfield. Behind me was a a creek with a shelf that had a few well used trails. Not long after sunrise I had a small six come out behind me and mill around. I grabbed some quick pictures, just enjoying watching him. Within minutes I saw a mature buck moving very briskly down the field edge, he was quartering hard to in the first shooting lane. I had almost no time to judge his size but I knew he was a shooter. When he went behind some some thick branches I had the opportunity to grab my bow, hook up and draw... he was still walking fast when he hit the second small opening... a quick grunt stopped him perfectly in the lane. I settled my pin for a 22 yard quartering away shot. The shot felt and looked good but we gave him some time before beginning to track. The trail was easy to follow and we found him about 80 yards away.

Very proud of this one for sure. A big bodied, (255# live weight), very clean, typical 10, 152 1/8 with only 1.5” of deductions. He also had a double throat patch.

"When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

2. Member
    Very nice!

One of the few things Illinois is good for- quality deer. Just got home from the weekend gun season. I had the opportunity to watch my son harvest a nice doe.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

4. Member
    Great deer. I need to find a buddy with a farm like that!

Congrats on a dang nice one!
    Charger 210 Elite

6. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Very nice... Congrats!
    Who controls John Gill?

nice !

8. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    That's a nice one for sure, congrats man.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    Well done! And a GREAT Buck!
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

10. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Sweet!
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!