Rage Tail Menace on Swim Jig Rigging

Do you thread this on the swim jig so if its lying on your table it would be flat on the table or what I would call straight up and down.

2. Banned
    On a swim jig, I primarily have it flat because I tend to skip swim jigs around the cover I'm fishing

3. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I agree, I’m out of Rage Tails after yesterday so I have a Zoom Fat Albert on my swim jig and I run it like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

4. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I agree, I’m out of Rage Tails after yesterday so I have a Zoom Fat Albert on my swim jig and I run it like this.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

I use the Z Craw Jr. and always rig the tail horizontal.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I use the Z Craw Jr. and always rig the tail horizontal.
    I second this method.

I agree with the Z-Craw Jr. as a swim jig trailer. I prefer them over the Menace by a pretty wide margin. That said, I often rig them with the claws vertical. It definitely works, though I'm not sure it works any better than rigging them horizontal. In my mind it looks more like a bluegill that way - again, not sure if the fish care. One more concrete difference is that with vertical rigging the jig seems to run a little deeper for a given retrieve speed. A down side of the vertical rigging is that it becomes much easier to hook the flapping "claws" on the hook point. Biting off the right about of the "head" before threading it on remedies this. It's a fine line and it's been over a month since I've done it, but it seems like it was 3 "segments" worth that was the sweet spot on the Brovarney jigs I usually fish.

Fat Alberts also work very well.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

8. Member
    Vertical if they're feeding on bait, horizontal if they're feeding on craws

If I plan on fishing the jig with a stop and fall presentation I rig the bait horizontal. If I am using a steady retrieve with twitches, I rig the bait vertical. The Menance grub has really become my go to bait. It flat out catches fish.